This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taxi drivers

Post Thanks / Like
    We are typically first cab in line people. Like act1966, we don't like to drive at night, even if we have a rental car. If we can't walk to our dinner if choice we take the first taxi available. We have never had an issue although some drivers are better than others. Driving at night, especially on the south end of the island, the roads are pretty dark, and it can be hard to see people walking along the road and navigate the turns with no road signs. Not to mention, we are on vacation and both like to enjoy cocktails.

I had 2 experiences using a reserved and recommended driver - the first time he was sick and coughing but didn't want to leave us scrambling - while I appreciate the commitment to customer service, I did not appreciate being in close contact with a sick person (several years pre-covid). The second time was our reserved ride to Flying Fishbone and the driver was late for our pick up and spent the entire ride on a handheld cell phone call. It was that moment that we decided not to deal with reservations, and just go first available and catch them when we are ready to leave. We have found that restaurants are great about calling a ride for you at the end of your meal too.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    2 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Whether you rent a car, ride the bus or walk, it seems that some of us still use a taxi from time to time to get around Aruba. So here is the question, who is your favorite taxi provider? Do you use them exclusively? Are they on speed dial? If we can get a few recommendations, along with contact info we will create a sticky for easy access. If you have a large group and use a tour company for rides to/from airport include them. And if you just take the first cab in line let us know that too. Thanks everyone!
    We have used Bully@ bullytaxi79@hotmail.com. Hubby does not like to drive in Aruba so this works for us. He picks us up airport and returns us. Any place we need to go, grocery, diner reservations he takes care of us. A really nice guy. We try to make dinner reservations ahead of our arrival and check with Bully to see if he is free.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We had one heck of a time finding Madame Jeanette's the first year we drove there. We stopped and asked three people we got different directions each time. After year two of driving hubby said that is enough.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I always take taxi from airport ,1st avail. Then I rent a car because of baby beach mainly. Last year we taxi to dinner all week and rented car . This week going to taxi all week because just going to dinner and relaxing on Eagle beach.
    0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    We try to use Bully as much as possible. Over the years, we have become good friends. He posted on Facebook yesterday that he was having eye surgery. I'm not sure what the issue is but he said that he will probably be off of Facebook for 6 weeks. I'm sharing this because there are probably people on this forum that are planning on contacting him for upcoming trips, and I'm letting them know that he is unavailable for possibly the next 6 weeks. He emailed me this week and plans to pick us up at the airport in June.

2 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    Hey Walt, good topic. We rented a car this time for the 1st time ever in Aruba as there were only 5 of us. It has been great and I love the flexibility of being able to run to the drug store, or Linda’s Pancakes without having to consider “the cab ride “ both ways. In fact, tonight we are going to Flying Fishbone for dinner for the 1st time. We’ve always been put off by the “expensive cab ride” to get there and back from the Surf Club.

Just this AM I asked one of the guys at the entrance of the Surf Club what the limit is for taxis here. He said 5 including the driver unless it’s a child under 2 in which case it’s 6. Does that sound right? We will be back in July with our family and will be a group of 11 (all kids over 2) and I’m trying to figure out the best way to arrange transport including maybe renting one car that can seat 6..but that won’t help much if we still need 2 cabs for the other 5 people. Suggestions?
    Hi Brian,

I am renting a car but am nervous about driving - was it pretty easy? I live in Minneapolis/St. Paul so I am accustomed to traffic.

Thank you,
    Andrea
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We always use the dispatch fo our.guests.. they come fast and also vans are available
    .Works pretty good!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ideastowords View Post
    Hi Brian,

I am renting a car but am nervous about driving - was it pretty easy? I live in Minneapolis/St. Paul so I am accustomed to traffic.

Thank you,
    Andrea
    Driving is pretty easy, if you are comfortable in roundabouts. There are several roundabouts. Be prepared that there are not really visible street signs. And we do not like driving at night because the roads are very dark and on side streets it is very difficult to see pedestrians. We also prefer to take a taxi from the airport and have a rental car dropped off to us a day or 2 later.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ideastowords View Post
    Hi Brian,

Thank you,
    Andrea
    We rent a car and have for several years. Driving is fine, just watch out for the crazies just like anywhere. Roads aren't always well marked or paved, but Google Maps and Maps.me work great for getting around the island. Renting a car will help you discover Aruba in ways you can't otherwise experience.

1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Tracey14,

That is the plan! I am renting a car mostly to go to the Donkey Sanctuary. And, we do have roundabouts here in the Twin Cities, but it seems like folks take them a little faster in Aruba from what I recall.

Thanks much for responding!
    Andrea
    0 1