This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Transaction Fees on Credit Card Purchases in Aruba

Post Thanks / Like
    The fees depend on the credit card. My bank of america travel rewards card doesn’t have a foreign transaction fee, but my cash rewards card from the same bank does.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    US Credit cards can vary from Canadian ones. Most Canadian credit cards do charge transaction fees. We also can not get most of your credit cards because they are associated with your US banks and we have to have a US address. US Credit cards that run off Canadian banks will charge in US funds so no transaction fee but we have to convert our Canadian money into US dollars to pay for bill.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that the way it works is when you choose to pay in US dollars when purchasing they are only converting the Florins to US at the merchant’s rate. As mentioned in some of the responses, you are still dealing with a foreign bank so foreign transaction fees apply. So not only are you paying those fees but you are probably not getting the best exchange rate.

I spoke to the furniture store that we will be dealing with to furnish our condo and he said that if I pay cash (wire transfer) to his US bank account, as opposed to paying by credit card, he will give me an additional discount. My biggest concern was fees on the furniture purchases.

As far as my smaller daily purchases: my Canadian bank offers a card with no foreign transaction fee but I’ll lose the 1, 3 or 4% cash-back on my purchases. As a result, I will either use my debit card to buy Florins at the ATM and use cash (like in the old days) or just pay the 2.5% fee.

I was considering opening an account at a local bank but based in the discussions I’ve seen in the forums it’s either paying crazy monthly fees or bad service. Or both.

Thanks for all of the feedback!
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    be aware the wire transfer fee might be excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMtl View Post
    It seems that the way it works is when you choose to pay in US dollars when purchasing they are only converting the Florins to US at the merchant’s rate. As mentioned in some of the responses, you are still dealing with a foreign bank so foreign transaction fees apply. So not only are you paying those fees but you are probably not getting the best exchange rate.

I spoke to the furniture store that we will be dealing with to furnish our condo and he said that if I pay cash (wire transfer) to his US bank account, as opposed to paying by credit card, he will give me an additional discount. My biggest concern was fees on the furniture purchases.

As far as my smaller daily purchases: my Canadian bank offers a card with no foreign transaction fee but I’ll lose the 1, 3 or 4% cash-back on my purchases. As a result, I will either use my debit card to buy Florins at the ATM and use cash (like in the old days) or just pay the 2.5% fee.

I was considering opening an account at a local bank but based in the discussions I’ve seen in the forums it’s either paying crazy monthly fees or bad service. Or both.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    How much is the wire transfer from Canadian $$ to US dollars? I am guessing the furniture store is in Aruba but the owner has a US bank?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    How much is the wire transfer from Canadian $$ to US dollars? I am guessing the furniture store is in Aruba but the owner has a US bank?
    That is correct. My bank (BMO) charges 0.20% of the transfer amount. Minimum $15, maximum $125.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

fees charged

In Aruba, you are paying what the price is, there are no "cash back" refunds( compare to, say trips to Europe, where you are paying local tax on purchases)... credit card , you are simply insured from fraudulent charges, unlike DEBIT card,if someone gets your card #, they can steal all of it, and you won`t be compensated.Best is- AMEX .
    I guess I’ll have to weigh the advantage of the cash back versus what I can save in fees with a travel card.

But what I found strange is that at the cash register I chose to make the payments in US dollars thinking I’d avoid the fees.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I understood that there is no VAT refund as in the EU.

I have found that many establishments prefer not to accept AMEX because of their high fee.

I did end up finding a Canadian credit card that does not charge foreign exchange fees and gives points that can be applied towards travel.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    call to your credit card or better do text them when logged in to your account and ask to make your card free of these fee,s ans re-embrace them back. 99 times out of 100 they would.i got their card with no fees whatsoever.
    0 0

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    Post Thanks / Like
    you're dealing with the worst bank in the world. the government bailed them out and they continue to rape the public.

0 0