This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoping to buy in Aruba

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping to buy in Aruba

My husband and I are planning on buying either a home or condo in Aruba because we want to spend winter there. We've been there probably 6 or 7 or 8 times and every time we go, it feels like home. We are going next month to start looking and he has made some appointments with realtors. I am looking for some advice. We are not sure if we want a house or a condo (we need 2-3 bedrooms and 2 bath). We need good internet because he needs to work while we are there. I want to be somewhere I can meet people and make new friends. We are probably younger(we're just hitting our mid 50s). than most "snowbirds". My husband keeps going back and forth of what is important to him-view, near the beach, and cost.

What I am looking for is what the realtors won't tell me. We've driven around the island many times and have an idea of where we don't want to be. But what areas would be best for us? Where should we avoid? What questions may I not know to ask?

Thanks,
    Robin
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the forum.you may want to look into the gold coast townhouses,close to lighthouse and beaches in nice neighborhood,good luck
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Robin,

We were in the same situation about a year and a half ago. After quite a few visits and spending lots of time driving and walking all over the island, we bought a house in the neighbourhood of Opal, Noord. I had a very simple and common criteria: 3 bedroom, 2 bath, curb appeal, walking distance to the beach.

My advise: try to rent a place similar to one that you would like to call home and see if it suits your needs. Please note that the relaxed island life style has pros and cons. For example, it took us over two weeks and a few phone calls to get the Internet up and running (it takes a less than a day here in Toronto), and we were just told that apparently in order to have a gas tank refilled, you need to go to the Arugas location, pay upfront, and hope that they will show up within a week.

If you are looking for an all-inclusive type of service, than a condo or a townhouse might be a better choice. They usually come with pools, security, landscape services and - maintenance fees. We have a house without a pool (the ocean is within 10 min walk), I planted a few palm trees myself and am extremely happy with the place and the price we paid.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Oh, I should have mentioned that the real estate person we worked with was really good and I would gladly recommend him (no commissions haha).

Cheers,

Ulyana
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you plan on doing with the property while you're not there, rent it or leave vacant?

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i recommend being a snowbird and renting as the others have stated.
    Ulyana gives good advice!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Keep us updated on your purchase.
    Let us know if you are going to rent out to some really nice people
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    My husband and I are planning on buying either a home or condo in Aruba because we want to spend winter there. We've been there probably 6 or 7 or 8 times and every time we go, it feels like home. We are going next month to start looking and he has made some appointments with realtors. I am looking for some advice. We are not sure if we want a house or a condo (we need 2-3 bedrooms and 2 bath). We need good internet because he needs to work while we are there. I want to be somewhere I can meet people and make new friends. We are probably younger(we're just hitting our mid 50s). than most "snowbirds". My husband keeps going back and forth of what is important to him-view, near the beach, and cost.

What I am looking for is what the realtors won't tell me. We've driven around the island many times and have an idea of where we don't want to be. But what areas would be best for us? Where should we avoid? What questions may I not know to ask?

Thanks,
    Robin

It it really depends on why you want to move here. You indicate weather. There are so many things to consider that are not apparent. I think most are familiar with the issues of banking, dealing with Givt Dpts etc and some of the frustrations they present but there are many other things to consider. Not sure where you live, but you probably have friends, family or authorities you can turn to for help in an emergency. I have had to use the police and other authorities here. Don't expect them to be the same or even sympathetic. At times I have detected what is almost a resentment. They see you come to Aruba with money, buy a nice house and maybe have items they do not have or maybe cannot afford. Not all are like that but just don't e pe t the same service levels.

Be be prepared for cultural and language differences. What might seem cute and charming might become annoying after a few months.

Where red would you buy? Which area? Be well aware of zoning issues. It is possible to buy a nice home and then have someone open a car wrecking yard next door depending on zoning, and there will be nothing you can do about it.

after 14 years here I speak candidly. Not all is bad. You just need to be the type of person who can adapt and learn to accept that island living has its pluses and minuses. For instance somethings are not always available on the island. An example of this is Superfood last December ran out of dog food. Had to wait for a delayed ship. It's those little and unpredictable things.

Living here is different to a vacation or living anywhere else. It can be both fun and frustrating at the same time.

My my advice is to stay several months. Talk to others on the forum. Learn as much as you can, then decide. Mistakes involving a move can be very costly

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    great advice!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how much we spend.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much. Which realtor did you use?
    0 0