This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thread: Legal Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Legal Recommendations

Hello. We are closing on a home purchase in October and we are looking for someone to draft a short term lease agreement and give us some legal advice. The current owners would like to rent the home for a short period after closing to enable them time to move their belongings and we plan to use the home as a short term rental when we are not using the property. I have read enough to understand that the legal system can be tricky when it comes to tenants and I want to make sure we have set ourselves up correctly. Can anyone recommend a lawyer to assist with our legal needs? Thanks in advance.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have a lawyer that I can recommend. We do not rent out property and have not needed the services of a lawyer.

I will say, the person from whom we purchased our home wanted a short term rental for the reason you mentioned. We were advised to not do that. When you take ownership (papers are passed) you want the house empty of all occupants and contents. You want to inspect the home with the realtor on the day of the closing.
    The current renters have plenty of time to find new lodging befoe your October closing.
    Rentals are tricky here. They are either long term or vacation rental (there is no short term). Vacation rentals are weekly rates.
    I am not a lawyer (and you sure need one under these circumstances) but it is my understanding that as long as you have a place to live (which I presume you do...in your home country) the renter does not have to leave as long as they pay the monthly rental.
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the comments from Ann above. There will be some risk to you, to close on a house property in Aruba, with the owners still living in the home, (even if it is under a rental agreement). In general, Dutch law favors protection of the tenant (not the owner). The best way to mitigate your risk is for you not to close on the home until the owner has fully vacated the property.
    Bella Ruby - a luxury vacation home for your next tropical adventure in Aruba: www.BellaRubyAruba.com
    1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. They have plenty of time to move their things and find another space to rent. I have read horror stories...I would pass on longterm rentals but that is just me.
    Trip 33 begins on July 15.

1 0