This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with a rental tenant/business owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomnomsmom View Post
    Yes we have read and Hurrcomissie said that it wasn't legal but he does have rights to "live" there unfortunately.
    Just to be clear: there's language in the signed property management agreement/contract that states the company/individual can live in the property?
    Last edited by act1966; 07-26-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    For those of us who were thinking of buying in aruba who knew we can just walk into any house for rent and take over without paying any bills,definitely the cheaper way.
    I know it's a joke but, just in case, squatting in owned/maintained property is not legal in Dutch law.
    0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    was there anything in the contract that you signed retaining the management company, that allowed for or mentioned that this person to be living in an "out building/apartment" on the property?
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I know it's a joke but, just in case, squatting in owned/maintained property is not legal in Dutch law.
    Everything just seems upside down,i just feel like Rod Serling going to come out and say you just entered the twilight zone,lol
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    As a property owner myself I am very concerned for you and sorry that this has happened. I would search for a good lawyer. I would not get involved with the police. Their default mode, in my opinion, is to do nothing. Please keep us informed about this. This may happen to one of us someday.
    0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't something like this happen to another member? The lesson here is if you buy, do not rent it out. I agree with Mohair that the police's default mode is to do nothing. I will continue to rent.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes check out #5.

the big difference is that Lizarddo had a lease with the tenant......when the lease expired, the tenant refused to move. he continued to pay rent. Liz and her husband wanted to sell the house but could not while the tenant was still in it. they paid many thousands $$ try to evict, but the courts ruled in the tenant's favor allowing him to stay for an additional 2 yrs after the lease expired.

I know the posting by Nomnomsmomm is very different as there is no lease.........but I do think folks need to be aware that having a long term tenant in Aruba becomes incredibly difficult if he/she needs to be evicted.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Didn't something like this happen to another member? The lesson here is if you buy, do not rent it out. I agree with Mohair that the police's default mode is to do nothing. I will continue to rent.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Just to be clear: there's language in the signed property management agreement/contract that states the company/individual can live in the property?
    There is NO language in the property agreement that allows him to live on the property. We found out from neighbors shortly after we left the island that he had moved in with his wife and their child. When we asked him what was going on he asked if we minded him living there and he sent us a proposed lease. When we did not sign the lease he said tough cookies, I am the property manager so I will sign my own lease and I have a right to live here per Dutch law.

He is "living" in the apartment and using the main house utilities (which we pay for) and he refuses to leave. He is not paying for any utilities and has not paid rent either.

Our property management contract was intended for him to manage the property not live there. There is no language in the contract which states he can live on the property he is using his property management "power" to sign his own lease.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    well that answered a question.
    the original contract with the company allowed him to create a lease and sign as a tenant and as a lessor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomnomsmom View Post
    There is NO language in the property agreement that allows him to live on the property. We found out from neighbors shortly after we left the island that he had moved in with his wife and their child. When we asked him what was going on he asked if we minded him living there and he sent us a proposed lease. When we did not sign the lease he said tough cookies, I am the property manager so I will sign my own lease and I have a right to live here per Dutch law.

He is "living" in the apartment and using the main house utilities (which we pay for) and he refuses to leave. He is not paying for any utilities and has not paid rent either.

Our property management contract was intended for him to manage the property not live there. There is no language in the contract which states he can live on the property he is using his property management "power" to sign his own lease.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    please all go back and read posting #1

it has been updated per my request.

thanks!
    0 0