This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Non-Resident Condo Property Taxes Increasing by 50% on January 1, 2019

  1. #31
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    2,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they totally did away with the exemption. Their value of the condo with the exemption was 745,000 florins. I am pretty sure that anything over 500,000 florins is at the 6%.




    0 0
     

  2. #32
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reread the article this morning and is does state that the 60,000 fl deduction no longer applies, but they grouped into another paragraph, so I couldn’t tell if it meant to all, including residents. Like you said, it looks like it is gone to all.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0
     

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've just been informed through our property management company that, on top of the annual property tax increase, the Arubian tax authorities are now requiring tax payments for rental income (i.e. the "tourist tax") to be paid in name of the home owner, IN PERSON, MONTHLY at the tax office. Our property manager also noted that they are "therefore legally obliged to register you as the homeowner for the tourist tax payments and we must do the monthly tax payment on your behalf." They will do this for a charge, of course.

    The point here is that the Arubian government is finding a more inconvenient way to collect taxes and, at the same time, make it more inconvenient (or expensive), for non-residents to continue investment in their country.

    It will be interesting to see when/where the tipping point is reached.
    0 0
     

  4. #34
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our management company since 2017 has been collecting and paying the tourist tax on our behalf. Up to this point they have not been charging any additional fees for this service, as it is part of the managements commission fee.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 1
     

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfltdoc View Post
    I've just been informed through our property management company that, on top of the annual property tax increase, the Arubian tax authorities are now requiring tax payments for rental income (i.e. the "tourist tax") to be paid in name of the home owner, IN PERSON, MONTHLY at the tax office. Our property manager also noted that they are "therefore legally obliged to register you as the homeowner for the tourist tax payments and we must do the monthly tax payment on your behalf." They will do this for a charge, of course.

    The point here is that the Arubian government is finding a more inconvenient way to collect taxes and, at the same time, make it more inconvenient (or expensive), for non-residents to continue investment in their country.

    It will be interesting to see when/where the tipping point is reached.
    We knew it was coming. Our PM company today announced they need to charge us to perform this service due to the manpower it will take and the time to pay at the tax office each month. This is in addition to their normal PM fees. The discussion of a one-time nonresident lump-sum tax is still in discussion. the amount of $25,000 or $30,000 is being considered. Only for nonresidents.
    0 0
     

  6. #36
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would pin the tail on the donkey...!

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    We knew it was coming. Our PM company today announced they need to charge us to perform this service due to the manpower it will take and the time to pay at the tax office each month. This is in addition to their normal PM fees. The discussion of a one-time nonresident lump-sum tax is still in discussion. the amount of $25,000 or $30,000 is being considered. Only for nonresidents.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0
     

  7. #37
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got our new property tax bill last week and it went up as expected, but now we find that the accessed value is not correct and we have to find out how to get that corrected...it's over accessed by at least 140,000.00 florins.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0
     

  8. #38
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch! I wonder if they are using the recent sale prices as a new base? Congrats on your investment as I have seen some of the prices the resales....way more than the original price.

    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    We got our new property tax bill last week and it went up as expected, but now we find that the accessed value is not correct and we have to find out how to get that corrected...it's over accessed by at least 140,000.00 florins.

  9. #39
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was over accessed last year and no one caught it, so I don’t think I think it’s a reassessment. My understanding was that the assessment was for five years, but I guess we’ll find out.
    Last edited by schexc; 06-30-2019 at 12:40 PM.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0
     

  10. #40
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    A little more info on our property tax situation...

    Our Management Company has been guiding us with our situation. It looks like our assessment is off about $115,000.00 US and our unit is the only one at The Pearl that this change applied to. We have to make an appointment with the tax office next trip to get this corrected and most likely file an Objection Letter. In the mean time we've been making the required tax payments, hoping to get it corrected before the end of the year.

    With regard to the Non-Resident property tax increases this year; we were also told that there is a group formed that is filing a complaint against the increase in property taxes as applied to Non-Residents. We really don't know that much about it or who the group is, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm sure we'll find out more next visit.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 0
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •