This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Owning in Aruba - pros and cons

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is a huge amount and even with a pool it should not be that high.

are the split units set at a higher temp when you are not in that particular room?
    they should be.
    or
    the units should be off windows opened and let the air flow thru.

the pool pump should be on a timer and if the pool does not get huge loads of users, it can operate 2 hrs on, 2 hrs off all day/night.

Quote Originally Posted by tigi View Post
    So we’re in Aruba now, renting a house this time to try it out. It’s very nice here in Boroncana, but it seems electric and water for a house with a pool can easily run $1k/mo or more. At least that’s what our hosts told us, and they manage 20+ properties, so they have a decent data set to work with. And yes, all of their houses have split AC units... I wonder if the costs would be significantly lower with a condo or townhouse, which wouldn’t need water and electricity constantly running for the pool and irrigation. Also, is anybody familiar with Jardines Del Mar? Seems like an older development, but very well kept and walking distance to Eagle Beach.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    So we’re in Aruba now, renting a house this time to try it out. It’s very nice here in Boroncana, but it seems electric and water for a house with a pool can easily run $1k/mo or more. At least that’s what our hosts told us, and they manage 20+ properties, so they have a decent data set to work with. And yes, all of their houses have split AC units... I wonder if the costs would be significantly lower with a condo or townhouse, which wouldn’t need water and electricity constantly running for the pool and irrigation. Also, is anybody familiar with Jardines Del Mar? Seems like an older development, but very well kept and walking distance to Eagle Beach.
    I wonder if it is in florins instead of US $$$. How
    large is the house? We did look at Jardins Del Mar. small older condo complex close to the beach. The condos were nice but we didn’t want stairs. Nice location.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Robin's assessment that the monthly cost estimate you were provided was likely in florin and not USD. Our average water & electric (combined) cost is in the range of $400-$500 per month (for 3 Bedroom/3 bath house w/pool). Utilities are definitely expensive in Aruba (especially water since Aruba needs to "make" their water at the desalination plant) - but given that there is no heating bill, I find the total monthly utility cost for a house in Aruba is similar to the monthly utility cost for the house we own in the USA (in upstate NY).
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Its what we pay in MA as well. My electric last month was 175 and we paid about 300 for oil as well. In the summer our electric bill goes well over 350 most months with central AC.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    I agree with Robin's assessment that the monthly cost estimate you were provided was likely in florin and not USD. Our average water & electric (combined) cost is in the range of $400-$500 per month (for 3 Bedroom/3 bath house w/pool). Utilities are definitely expensive in Aruba (especially water since Aruba needs to "make" their water at the desalination plant) - but given that there is no heating bill, I find the total monthly utility cost for a house in Aruba is similar to the monthly utility cost for the house we own in the USA (in upstate NY).
    April 17th- Aruba here we come!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, their estimate was Afl. 700 - 2000 monthly. I guess the midpoint (Afl 1,350) converted to USD would be a more reasonable $750. And their estimate may have included other utilities, such as trash pickup, internet, etc. Not sure whether it included pool maintenance... probably not.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, their estimate was Afl. 700 - 2000 monthly. I guess the midpoint (Afl 1,350) converted to USD would be a more reasonable $750. And their estimate may have included other utilities, such as trash pickup, internet, etc. Not sure whether it included pool maintenance... probably not.
    Our two bedroom condo facing the ocean which means full sun for at least 6 hours a day costs us about $250-350(USD) a month in electric, however; we are not being charged residential rates rather large commercial rates(currently the condo association is taking Elmar to court-long story). If and when we are reduced to residential rate, our bill should drop at least $80 a month.

Elmar has a tiered rate system. The rate goes up as your usage goes up-first 500 kw is one price, the next 500 kw is higher and over 1000 kw is the highest rate. These rates are still higher than what we pay at home-about 4 cents more a kw. https://www.elmar.aw/your-electricity-statement/rates

Water is expensive compared to what we spend at home. Our bill here between what we spend in months we don't water the lawn and months we do water at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Add me to the list of that amount is way off! We have splits also and if room not being used the airco is not running, however as I have stated before...we run aircos in rooms we are using...I'm too old to be uncomfortable...lol. Of choice we do not have a pool...our good friend does...her water bill is not high at all! Some months our's is higher as we hand water some trees and plants....a husband hobby. Our monthly phone, cable, internet bill is lower in Aruba than USA. We have a dedicated USA line and even that is inexpensive. If you use the government trash collection the cost is $250 a year....there is private trash pick up but I don't know what that cost is. We are very happy with Serlimar (the government trash collection).
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be interesting to know for owners that Aruba recently signed a deal with EagleLNG to replace crude oil with gas. Hopefully making utilities significantly cheaper when its all set and done according to the government. Jobs set to begin in the summer.

"The LNG will replace heavy fuel oil used for water treatment and power generation in Aruba, while the island will serve as a distribution and bunkering hub for the region, Eagle LNG said."

https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2...eal-with-aruba
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my thought as of today- I wish I had the money to buy as I feel there must be some GREAT buys out there right now. Many people who relied on rental income must be way behind with their condo fees and taxes or are draining accounts to pay them. It stinks paying for a spot you can't use and if its causing financial headaches people may be willing to accept much less than they would under "normal" circumstances.
    April 17th- Aruba here we come!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Robin, it.will probably help to cover (some) of the windows with ( heavy blackout) curtains
    .have you tried this already?
    Last edited by Stanley; 04-11-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    0 0