This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Property in Aruba.. too good to be true?

Post Thanks / Like

Property in Aruba.. too good to be true?

Hey folks. So I have a question to those of you who have hands on experience on the subject. We have been looking around on the web for properties, with a distant dream of one day living part time in Aruba.
    Prices are all over... either silly low prices for run down places or much higher prices for new condos.. but still, when compared to our market (Toronto - Canada) most of the listings I see could still be classified as "somewhat affordable".. then I come across a listing like this :

https://remax-arubarealestate.com/pr.../irenestraat-8

So, several studios that could easily generate decent rental income, for under $400k. I have been to Aruba and stayed in a private AirBnB place, around $400/week.... lots of listings around that price. Assuming 50% occupancy, $400/week per unit would still generate some 15% ROI.

Why wouldn't everyone be all over a listing like that?

Im used to a housing market that can barely get 2% ROI... if you can get 4%, it is a miracle... but 15% ROI on "paradise" - seems too good to be true. So I MUST be missing something obvious.

Care to share your thoughts?
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the real estate taxes are something that you need to focus on and get some definitive figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveira View Post
    Hey folks. So I have a question to those of you who have hands on experience on the subject. We have been looking around on the web for properties, with a distant dream of one day living part time in Aruba.
    Prices are all over... either silly low prices for run down places or much higher prices for new condos.. but still, when compared to our market (Toronto - Canada) most of the listings I see could still be classified as "somewhat affordable".. then I come across a listing like this :

https://remax-arubarealestate.com/pr.../irenestraat-8

So, several studios that could easily generate decent rental income, for under $400k. I have been to Aruba and stayed in a private AirBnB place, around $400/week.... lots of listings around that price. Assuming 50% occupancy, $400/week per unit would still generate some 15% ROI.

Why wouldn't everyone be all over a listing like that?

Im used to a housing market that can barely get 2% ROI... if you can get 4%, it is a miracle... but 15% ROI on "paradise" - seems too good to be true. So I MUST be missing something obvious.

Care to share your thoughts?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    And don't forget to factor in personal use, if you plan on utilizing the property yourself.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd make sure it is permitted to have that many units. I'd ask to see how well the place is renting, not just someone telling me it's rented a % of the time.There are things you may not know, such as, how is the water pressure when all units are rented? What are the the utilities(electric and water is very expensive)? Does each unit have their own AC and hot water heater? These things do not last as long as in the US or Canada. Who will manage the property? Is there sufficient parking? Who will maintain the pool? Will you rent long term to locals or AirBB only or both? Don't forget the upfront taxes at settlement. I am trying to discourage you, just things to think about.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if you looked up the location, but it's far from the beautiful white sand beaches of Druif, Eagle and Palm. It also states that it is not furnished. Folks on here can tell you how expensive that can be. It seems like it could be a money maker, but I am far from being in tune with the Aruban rental market.
    But hey, if you can make it work, I wish you great success.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    also too.............it is not on "owned land"........aka "property land"
    the units are located on "lease land"
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you account for the taxes you will also have to pay on your rental income. I am reasonably sure the government will want a part of that for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Make sure you account for the taxes you will also have to pay on your rental income. I am reasonably sure the government will want a part of that for sure.
    They already do. At present 9% tourist tax and an environmental tax of $3/per bedroom used/per night. Also, if a cleaning fee is charged they add a tax to that as well.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on location, I would say that 50% vacancy is fairly accurate along 6-7% ROI.
    Last edited by schexc; 06-21-2019 at 07:14 PM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.hotels.com/ho645990912/e...njestad-aruba/. This seems to be one of the apartments renting for $26.00 a day
    0 0