This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thread: Question regarding renting property in Aruba

Post Thanks / Like

Question regarding renting property in Aruba

Hey Iv been looking for a condo to purchase but decided to hold off for the next year or so .I may want to rent a condo . My question is ,I see listings on Remax for rental cost of say $2500 US not including utilities . Is that a monthly rate ?How bad are the utilities generally? What other hidden cost are there and how many months can u stay as a US citizen before having to leave the island? Thanks
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that electricity and water are monthly.
    if the unit has central air and you run it 24/7 in the low 70s, your bill will be HIGH.
    if the unit that you rent has a split inverter unit, you will be able to control it better AND it is very economical...so check what kind of airco unit that the condo has.

the cost of water is high too. so don't let the water run as you brush your teeth!!

there is also Cable TV (setar is the provider)

my friends with central airco in their 1700 sq ft home average a $300+ electric bill. they do not run the house excessively cool.

other folks that I know has a split inverter ...4 splits in her home, I do not know her sq footage, but her bills are significantly lower than $300 p month.

you are allowed to stay 180 days in Aruba as a USA citizen.
    double check with Dept of Immigration. AKA DIMAS

Quote Originally Posted by almaringola View Post
    Hey Iv been looking for a condo to purchase but decided to hold off for the next year or so .I may want to rent a condo . My question is ,I see listings on Remax for rental cost of say $2500 US not including utilities . Is that a monthly rate ?How bad are the utilities generally? What other hidden cost are there and how many months can u stay as a US citizen before having to leave the island? Thanks

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a two bedroom condo-about 1500 sq. feet. The windows/sliding doors face the beach so in the pm the sun is strong and hot. We keep the curtains closed for the most part and it really helps. We replaced the AC unit two years ago and our bills dropped from close to $600 a month to about $350 a month. Water is around $50-55 a month. Our fridge is old, so that adds to the electric cost. Another member on here has a smaller, newer condo that does not have the big windows/sliders facing the sun and his electric bills are a fraction of ours. Condos in Aruba have the same electric rate as business, not homes. Currently our condo association is fighting with Elmar to change our rates to homeowner rates.(there are other associations from the same developer work with our association). Is cable/internet included? Phone?(some condos have landlines like ours necessary for security). You can stay in Aruba for up to 180 days a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can speak only for our one bedroom unit, which has a split unit in the living area and a split unit in the bedroom. When we are there for a month or more, out bill averages less that $50.00 a month. However, our unit is only 700 sq ft and is charged at the residential rate.

Most listings will give you a short term or long term rental rate. It should be disclosed in the listing. A lot of them will show the short term rate and state long term rate available. The owner or management company will usually decide what a long term rate classifies as. Some rentals, usually short term, will give an electrical allowance, included in the short term rate, to protect the owner from guests that leave the windows open and run the A/C 24/7. Most of the long term rentals I have seen listed over the years, have the tenant responsible for the utilities as an add on.

Hope this helps...

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 3

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is LOT to be said about the split units!!!

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    I can speak only for our one bedroom unit, which has a split unit in the living area and a split unit in the bedroom. When we are there for a month or more, out bill averages less that $50.00 a month. However, our unit is only 700 sq ft and is charged at the residential rate.

Most listings will give you a short term or long term rental rate. It should be disclosed in the listing. A lot of them will show the short term rate and state long term rate available. The owner or management company will usually decide what a long term rate classifies as. Some rentals, usually short term, will give an electrical allowance, included in the short term rate, to protect the owner from guests that leave the windows open and run the A/C 24/7. Most of the long term rentals I have seen listed over the years, have the tenant responsible for the utilities as an add on.

Hope this helps...

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    there is LOT to be said about the split units!!!
    Yes, for sure. We almost never run both of them at the same time.

There's also a lot to be said about owning a condo or house that does not have sheet rock walls and ceilings. We can leave our A/C off while the unit is vacant and not have to worry about mold. Properties that have sheet rock need to leave the A/C units on to keep the humidity down. Our monthly fee when vacant is a little over $7.00 a month. Of course for owners that are renters, that means no income, but at least it doesn't hurt as bad...
    Last edited by schexc; 07-30-2020 at 05:53 PM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info.. Im in Ct and my electric bill was $510 last month because of the Ac .I have a 3800 sq ft center hall colonial. Id love to rent a condo for the first 4 months of the year and November just to see how I like it. Iv looked into Marco island Fl but if i can swing Aruba id rather that.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by almaringola View Post
    Thanks for all the info.. Im in Ct and my electric bill was $510 last month because of the Ac .I have a 3800 sq ft center hall colonial. Id love to rent a condo for the first 4 months of the year and November just to see how I like it. Iv looked into Marco island Fl but if i can swing Aruba id rather that.
    Feel free to ask any questions on ownership.There are a number of owner's here from the states.

Here is a link to our due diligence.

It Took Us Six Years
    Last edited by schexc; 08-03-2020 at 05:38 PM.

1 0