This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCR vs Antigen Test for return to US

Post Thanks / Like

PCR vs Antigen Test for return to US

We're in Aruba and wondering which test others have used for their return to U.S.? I thought I read somewhere that the Antigen test has a higher chance of false positive results? Looking for advice on which test to use. Thanks!!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we did the antigen in mid May.
    negative

Quote Originally Posted by Babybeach View Post
    We're in Aruba and wondering which test others have used for their return to U.S.? I thought I read somewhere that the Antigen test has a higher chance of false positive results? Looking for advice on which test to use. Thanks!!
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the PCR test in August. Just gave me that extra measure of security i needed and the extra cost was worth it for me. Negative result later same day.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Babybeach View Post
    We are bringing the Abbott Binax At Home "proctored" tests with us and plan to use those tests while in Aruba for exit. Those are antigen tests.

FWIW, from my research antigen tests have a higher incident of false negative than false positive. It is less sensitive than the PCR test and therefor requires more of the virus to recognize it.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    We are bringing the Abbott Binax At Home "proctored" tests with us and plan to use those tests while in Aruba for exit. Those are antigen tests.

FWIW, from my research antigen tests have a higher incident of false negative than false positive. It is less sensitive than the PCR test and therefor requires more of the virus to recognize it.
    This is true, antigen tests have a greater chance of false negatives than false positives.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband and I opted for the Antigen test in Aruba, for the return to the USA. The antigen test is only $35 vs $75 for the PCR test. If you get a positive result, then the test facility will call you back and do a PCR test to confirm the result. So we felt the antigen test was the most cost effective option.
    Bella Ruby - a luxury vacation home for your next tropical adventure in Aruba: www.BellaRubyAruba.com
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    We did the PCR test each time during Covid (Nov. - wasn't required yet. But both March and Sept.) PCR is more accurate.
    ~Amy~® - 40th trip to Aruba: Oct. & Nov. 2020 -- 41st trip to Aruba: Feb & March 2021 -- 42nd trip to Aruba: Sept. 2021 --
    4th trip to Tuscany/Florence, Italy: Nov. & Dec. 2021 -- 43rd trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2021/2022

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    When I did my test to come back, the Gal told me the 1 out of every 10 with antigen, is false. I would not want to take the chance, so I did the PCR
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    My husband and I opted for the Antigen test in Aruba, for the return to the USA. The antigen test is only $35 vs $75 for the PCR test. If you get a positive result, then the test facility will call you back and do a PCR test to confirm the result. So we felt the antigen test was the most cost effective option.
    Would you then have to pay the $75 for the PCR after testing positive for the Anitgen?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I always take the PCR test to be certain. I don't want to come home and infect Ms Daisy so I have to be sure. I also use my HSA card to pay which my employer contributes $300 a year. The price of PCR at Divi Phoenix is $125 so I spent $250 with May testing and now September.
    0 1