This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Will Aruba implement stricter safety regulations?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Will Aruba implement stricter safety regulations?

    So now that my state has been added to the list, seriously considering canceling both October and December trips. I was planning to test at the airport as I cannot find anywhere w/in a 3hr drive to get tested and results back in less than 72hrs (and yes, I did you use the link provided for finding rapid testing). I got tested (locally) back in July and it took 15 DAYS to get results! What I don't understand, is when is the government of Aruba going to impose stricter safety protocols on the local residents? If you look at the daily numbers, most positive cases if not all, are all residents and not tourists. I hope I didn't just open Pandora's box with that question. And I'm afraid I may get some backlash for my comment. 2 months ago I felt like I would be safer in Aruba than I am going to the local grocery store. That's not the case anymore. If I were able to make it to Aruba, I wouldn't leave our resort and put myself/my family at risk. And that just doesn't sound like an enjoyable time to me. Why jump through all the hoops to get there, and then basically "shelter in place". Thanks for letting vent my frustration


    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I wonder if the they have told the Arubans if they don't start following guidelines, the restrictions will be harsher and have greater fines and jail time.
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    you have to do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with!

    I certainly would not want to be resort bound.

    there is some chatter out there that the prime minister will implement stricter quarantine and other regulations.
    once I hear something official, I will post it.
    til then, it is just speculation.

    you are correct, the positive numbers from aruba residents is high and from tourists is very low.



    Quote Originally Posted by mlrhoxie View Post
    So now that my state has been added to the list, seriously considering canceling both October and December trips. I was planning to test at the airport as I cannot find anywhere w/in a 3hr drive to get tested and results back in less than 72hrs (and yes, I did you use the link provided for finding rapid testing). I got tested (locally) back in July and it took 15 DAYS to get results! What I don't understand, is when is the government of Aruba going to impose stricter safety protocols on the local residents? If you look at the daily numbers, most positive cases if not all, are all residents and not tourists. I hope I didn't just open Pandora's box with that question. And I'm afraid I may get some backlash for my comment. 2 months ago I felt like I would be safer in Aruba than I am going to the local grocery store. That's not the case anymore. If I were able to make it to Aruba, I wouldn't leave our resort and put myself/my family at risk. And that just doesn't sound like an enjoyable time to me. Why jump through all the hoops to get there, and then basically "shelter in place". Thanks for letting vent my frustration



    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0
     

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to add 2 thoughts to my post above.... we would want to be able to go out for dining and activities to help contribute to the local economy (I hope it didn't sound like being "stuck" at the resort is all that bad. Being on the beach all day is a privilege!). And my husband cannot return to work until he can provide proof of a negative Covid test result after our arrival back home. If he were to test positive, he would be furloughed WITHOUT pay until he tested negative.

    For all those that can still make their upcoming trips happen, best of luck to you, and I'm just a little bit (ok, alot!) jealous ;-) Enjoy!
    0 0
     

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlrhoxie View Post
    I forgot to add 2 thoughts to my post above.... we would want to be able to go out for dining and activities to help contribute to the local economy (I hope it didn't sound like being "stuck" at the resort is all that bad. Being on the beach all day is a privilege!). And my husband cannot return to work until he can provide proof of a negative Covid test result after our arrival back home. If he were to test positive, he would be furloughed WITHOUT pay until he tested negative.

    For all those that can still make their upcoming trips happen, best of luck to you, and I'm just a little bit (ok, alot!) jealous ;-) Enjoy!
    I am with you 100%. Part of my love of Aruba is going out to restaurants, shopping around even if it’s window shopping etc. I would rather stay home and go when things are better if I have to be resort bound/shelter in place even though I love my resort. Aruba will be waiting for us!
    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is Rona's Bati Bleki

    https://batibleki.wheninaruba.com/it...Zmk7QBe1sLasIo
    (and SIP = shelter in place)It’s everywhere


    While Aruba patted itself on its back endlessly early in the pandemic, for various reasons we all know, it is now everywhere.
    What to do now?
    It is obvious from the number of carriers daily, that we are not testing enough.
    Just like other countries we need to set up a field-operation to make testing accessible. By the time locals get to test, they are half dead — DVG has a timetable, rules, regulations, serving its needs instead of being tailored to the public’s needs.
    Undocumented people on Aruba, 12,000, by consensus, have ZERO access to testing. They have no house-doctors, they go home and infect their peeps, because they live and work in close proximity to other people and often in crammed quarters.
    Who is doing something about that?
    For us to have 170+ carriers a day, we must be testing 3,400 people, that way we get an acceptable 5% infection among those tested, which is the norm.
    What to do?
    Throw money at our health-system so that it can better handle the severely sick, and the crazy accidents, and the surprise, emergency appendicitis. We don’t want people to die. We need to invest more money in health care. Not saving by cutting services, but creating savings by structural changes.
    We need more money for Police for better enforcement, and the protection of the men in blue, test them regularly.
    (This investment in Health-Care and Police must come from our benefactors. And they promised to help if we sign the aid-agreement. Incidentally, Curacao business sector has written directly to the Dutch Prime Minister to bypass the political apparat which is obstructing all help, desperately needed. Why hasn’t Aruba’s business community done it yet?
    It looks like the Dutch are reaching out. This morning, they called a press conference, wishing to speak to the local media. I will be there, because we are stuck over here.)
    Set up a drive thru testing facility, no one gets out of the car, those who are positive have to isolated/quarantine in their homes – difficult but not impossible.
    We need all politicians and public personalities to model good behavior.
    Repeat
    We need all politicians and public personalities to model good behavior.
    Last night’s press conference threatened to imposed SIP and a dry law, no alcohol sales during the upcoming weekend. The warning was unnecessary, because people will stock up, but if indeed, and GOA does it, impose a SIP and a dry law for three days, I urge the public to embrace it, and support it, because the effort is worth it, it will slow down the rate of infection.
    Most importantly – fine violators in the public square.
    Of course, members of my generation, you need to wash your hands more frequently than even, yawn, wear a mask indoor and outdoor in proximity to other people, yawn, and social distance, yawn. I know we are tired of hearing the mantra, but we cannot give up on the 60 plusers or the 70 plusers of our community, just because we don’t like the inconvenience.
    Just as an epilogue: Both the Netherlands and Aruba are struggling with similar issues. The DVG and RIVM more or less follow the same regime and protocols and both advise a less strict control policy, so it is not surprising that both countries now achieve considerable pandemic spread, though Aruba has 6 times more carriers, in relative numbers, and in the Netherlands the number deaths is lower, because of good health care.






    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know what to think anymore. It seems like additional restrictions are warranted but really wonder if a 3 day SIP would make a difference.

    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aruba is now experiencing what the US went through in the spring when covid hit some states hard. Unless there are radical changes in behavior Aruba will go through a very dark time until herd immunity is reached.
    0 0
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heard immunity is a farce with this disease since they are now saying people can get it twice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mohair View Post
    Aruba is now experiencing what the US went through in the spring when covid hit some states hard. Unless there are radical changes in behavior Aruba will go through a very dark time until herd immunity is reached.

  9. #9
    Senior Member EDMLS1358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    you have to do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with!

    I certainly would not want to be resort bound.

    there is some chatter out there that the prime minister will implement stricter quarantine and other regulations.
    once I hear something official, I will post it.
    til then, it is just speculation.

    you are correct, the positive numbers from aruba residents is high and from tourists is very low.
    I have a question. If they issue a SIP order how does that effect the people at the resorts, are you confined to that place ? are restaurants open? can you use the beach? If anyone has any answers please let me know. Thanks
    0 0
     

  10. #10
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    to the best of my knowledge:

    If there is a SIP..
    tourists continue doing their touristing.
    yes to beach and no you are not confined to resort.

    a SIP applies to residents.
    it allows them to go to WORK, DR, Pharmacy, Grocery.........if not one of those mentioned, they must stay home.

    I do not believe that a SIP has been announced.

    Quote Originally Posted by EDMLS1358 View Post
    I have a question. If they issue a SIP order how does that effect the people at the resorts, are you confined to that place ? are restaurants open? can you use the beach? If anyone has any answers please let me know. Thanks



    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    2 1
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •