This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Another Example of Needing Trip Insurance

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Example of Needing Trip Insurance

A friend's dad fell and broke his leg (compound fracture) and broken ankle, last month while visiting Aruba.
    He and his wife did have trip insurance (a Generali policy from Insuremytrip)

Hospitalized in Aruba, he opted for surgery in his home hospital in Orlando ...and med flighted to Orlando .
    Surgery done on both ankle and leg and he is home and recuperating well.

The insurance company notified them today that ALL will be covered, including wife's transportation as well and all medical and all transpiration regarding this injury.

Their only cost was the $174 for the policy.

They have already made reservations for Christmas in Aruba.
    He should be walking by Thanksgiving.

His fall.............he tripped and fell off the sidewalk while leaving the Botica where he stopped in to buy some toiletries
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    4 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, glad they had insurance. Folks, it costs as much as a nice dinner and can really pay off if needed. Pam and I always get insurance before traveling to Aruba.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad they had insurance! I always get it when traveling to Aruba. The prices do vary quite a bit depending on your circumstances. I go for the policies with a pre-existing clause which can increase the premium quite a bit but still worth it.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, travel insurance is wise and important - so many things could happen and it's not that expensive. Glad your friend's dad had it and is doing good.

Once when I was younger I did a Vacation Express trip to Cancun, purchased the trip insurance. Went down the water slide and started sliding sideways, and then ended up twisting around and racked my left ear down the side of the water slide, ripped out my earring (diamond stud) and yes I lost it, sigh. Resort sent a doctor to my room, numbed it up and sutured it, 4 stitches. I had to pay for all of that but was reimbursed once I got home and submitted everything. That was the first time I bought travel insurance and have since then. To this day you cannot tell my earlobe was torn, doc did a great job! Again, you never know when things can go wrong.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, even though it is more expensive now that we are seniors (hehe) we would not travel without it.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased my insurance. The coverage is pretty much the same as last year from what I can see (they no longer offer the plan I chose last year). I'm staying a week longer this year and the premium is $50 LESS than last year. I reviewed everything about 13 times before hitting confirm. I wonder what I'm missing.
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago, my upstairs neighbor in Aruba fell and broke her leg(in her 80s). They had to put in pins. A few days in the hospital. She had to front the costs and then get the money from her insurance company, which did pay. Her kids flew down and back at their own costs. That is something people don't think about.

Anything can happen anywhere. My younger son got pneumonia when he was little while we were in Williamsburg and a hospital stay was required. This week a friend's daughter had an emergency appendectomy on their family trip to Nashville. Our health insurance covered it, but there are always added costs-extra hotel days, taxis, etc.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I would never travel out of the country without trip insurance. Why take the risk? Whatever the premium is, it's guaranteed it will be cheaper than paying for hospital, doctors, etc. if something does happen. That old adage definitely applies - better safe than sorry!!
    0 1