This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55
  1. #21
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,676
    Actually the other one was the Riu. The Marriott one was this summer right prior to me arriving...I know that one well, I believe that was the only one that occurred there.

  2. #22
    Senior Member hatteras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,251
    There is a man on one of the Aruba fb sites that claims that the guy that robbed the Dutch couple tried to rob him and a companion, right after he robbed the Dutch couple. He says that the guy put a gun to his head. His companion screamed and the guy ran off. I don't know if this has been substantiated.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,162
    I think that there are too many hearsay stories and incorrect information coming onto the thread. I am hoping that possibly, a representative from ATA will come onto the forum and comment. A little clarification of the facts and maybe a statement of how ATA, the Police and AHATA plan to deal with these unfortunate events would go a long way to calming the minds of many scared or concerned tourists. I believe that since this forum is run by ATA it is the least they could do.

  4. #24
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    4,606
    Reading this I cringe at the number of times I walked from the casino at the Radisson (Hilton) across the grounds to the Bonaire or Curaco tower with a pile of cash in my pocket. I remember looking over my shoulder more than once..... granted a more secure place.... but still..... just sayin'...

  5. #25
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,600
    this forum is read by the ata.
    they own the site and they do read it.

    if someone from the ata does not respond, they may instruct me further.

    there has been correspondence.

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    I think that there are too many hearsay stories and incorrect information coming onto the thread. I am hoping that possibly, a representative from ATA will come onto the forum and comment. A little clarification of the facts and maybe a statement of how ATA, the Police and AHATA plan to deal with these unfortunate events would go a long way to calming the minds of many scared or concerned tourists. I believe that since this forum is run by ATA it is the least they could do.

  6. #26
    From Today's Newspaper -


    The AHATA (Aruba Hotel & Tourism Association) is concerned about the increasing number of armed robberies and calls on the government to take action against something right here. That leaves the hotel industry organization know through a press release. In the message, the trade association in the recent armed attacks on tourists that this news also reported on, and it argues that occurred in the first six weeks of this year, 14 armed robberies in Aruba.


    RAPID INCREASE IN ARMED ROBBERY
    AHATA is hugely concerned about the rapid increase in the number of armed robberies in Aruba and asked the government to come immediately with a plan to counter this development. The AHATA is particularly concerned about the two incidents last Wednesday, the (same) perpetrator had not even bothered to hide his face. The AHATA understands that this indicating that the offender is a foreigner who does not worry about the presence of cameras or other preventive measures, because it is not in the files of the police.

    What is clear is that the laws in Aruba not sufficiently be maintained, so that there has arisen an environment within which criminals will think that they are able to act without being caught. This is not a recent development and AHATA has on several occasions its concern about the fact that the situation has gotten completely out of hand on the beaches and environment.

    The AHATA wants that is patrolled often and that additional resources are to halt the unacceptable increase in crime. Everything must be done to monitor the borders and to turn illegal immigrants, according to the organization.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    this forum is read by the ata.
    they own the site and they do read it.

    if someone from the ata does not respond, they may instruct me further.

    there has been correspondence.
    Andrea

    just hoping that someone there will stand up and state a official response. Too many rumours and BS floating around. Let ATA come out from hiding and tell us what they are planning to secure the safety of all tourists. I am not so naive to think that they can solve this situation immediately, but at least show some concern and an action plan

    It is really nice too have this forum where many share info and ask questions, but when true cries for help and guidance are made to the authorities and they go ignored, one must truly question ATA

  8. #28
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,600
    hiding?
    i think hiding is a term that the ata would certainly not agree with.

    what are the cries for help and guidance that are going ignored?

    just because the ata is not posting here does not mean things are being ignored.

    and quite honestly, i do not believe it comes to questioning the ata.
    i believe it comes to the police, the government, the ata, the ahata, the neighborhoods, dimas all doing better jobs and stepping up.
    i believe that all of aruba's pertinent agencies, public and private need to step up and make a plan to try to halt this.


    also too, i do not believe that the ata can make an official statement/official response until the meetings between the government agencies including police, dimas etc have concluded



    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Andrea

    just hoping that someone there will stand up and state a official response. Too many rumours and BS floating around. Let ATA come out from hiding and tell us what they are planning to secure the safety of all tourists. I am not so naive to think that they can solve this situation immediately, but at least show some concern and an action plan

    It is really nice too have this forum where many share info and ask questions, but when true cries for help and guidance are made to the authorities and they go ignored, one must truly question ATA
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-28-2017 at 12:33 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hiding?
    i think hiding is a term that the ata would certainly not agree with.

    what are the cries for help and guidance that are going ignored?

    just because the ata is not posting here does not mean things are being ignored.

    and quite honestly, i do not believe it comes to questioning the ata.
    i believe it comes to the police, the government, the ata, the ahata, the neighborhoods, dimas all doing better jobs and stepping up.
    i believe that all of aruba's pertinent agencies, public and private need to step up and make a plan to try to halt this.


    also too, i do not believe that the ata can make an official statement/official response until the meetings between the government agencies including police, dimas etc have concluded
    to a point I do agree. While there may be actions planned and in the process of implementation, I think some disclosure and publication of t his would help to allay the fears of many. Remember, there are a lot of folks who have never been to Aruba before. It is only understandable that they will question their choice of a Caribbean island to stay at.

    It is is not acceptable for ATA to be silent. Even if they are working on a plan. Come on out and give folks some reassurance

    thats all. Don't let the scary dummies get any control. Aruba is beautiful, has great people and can be enjoyed by all. I only ask that the authorities, when they recognize the need step in and enforce the riulee



    Come on ATA. You know better. Help tourists know you have their interests ar heart
    Last edited by aquaman; 03-28-2017 at 10:12 AM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Posts
    2,349
    I do know this past december there was a girl who had her stuff stolen (she was here on a work visa). when the police finally came (almost 2 hours later), they told her this is the first time anyone had their stuff stolen on a beach in aruba. she pointed down the beach to us and we were wondering why. she walked over to us later and we asked why she pointed at us. she told us what they said and then she told them the two couples down there both got their stuff stolen, one from this beach and one from baby beach. I think it might be the police are in denial. they told her they never heard of that but I had a police report and the other couple got a police report so maybe the police are a little too laid back. they were as nice as can be but I don't think the police should be on island time. Just saying..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •