This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Armed robbery at the Ritz

Post Thanks / Like

Armed robbery at the Ritz

It pains to me to report this but there was an armed robbery at the Ritz Carlton on Saturday. Two guys with a gun robbed one of the jewelry stores. There are 2 locations both owned by the same women at the Ritz. I have also heard conflicting reports about whether they caught one or none of the criminals. There are also reports of shots being fired as well....but I can't 100 percent confirm that part as one person I spoke to said there were shots for sure and the other did not think so...there is an article in the local paper but I can't read it....scary crap.

Its hard to get all the facts straight as everyone has a different version of the same story. I have spoken with 3 different people and all 3 have similar stories except one said the gun was a fake and no shots...other 2 say shots and the gun was recovered...there is a picture of the gun in the article, it looks like it was buried by the robbers but found. There would be no need to bury a fake gun so I am guessing the version of it being a real gun with real bullets being shot is the accurate story but still not sure. The one thing I am sure of is nobody was injured- thank God!
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-07-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that on FB and some had put in the link to the article but I can only get some of the meaning since it wasn't in english. I think it happen at 9 something and one guy was in all black and the other was dressed as Santa Claus. I couldn't tell if they actually caught one of them or just picked someone up for questioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 different stories there. One person said one person was caught....another said both were caught, and the last said both escaped and nobody was actually caught.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I saw that on FB and some had put in the link to the article but I can only get some of the meaning since it wasn't in english. I think it happen at 9 something and one guy was in all black and the other was dressed as Santa Claus. I couldn't tell if they actually caught one of them or just picked someone up for questioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    People seem to think this was planned for some time and happened during carnival when almost every available officer was there and unavailable to respond at the Ritz.

My first thought was maybe more security...but after getting more details I think that would have ended with someone getting hurt. Security is NOT allowed to carry guns or weapons...only the police, special forces and the armored car security details are allowed guns. Security is meant to keep us normal people under control....not handle things like this. All sad and scary for sure.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-07-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully nobody was hurt and the real details will come out instead of speculation.

0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the last four years usually the first week of December there is a jewelry store robbed in the high rise. We were actually shocked this year there was not one. I guess they are moving on up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awful news. Hope they have caught them.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.noticiacla.com/news/17988
    if anyone can translate, please do.
    thanks in advance.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    There isn't any real speculation when it comes to the facts of the incident. A lot of Arubans/locals simply get too excited and gossip too much instead of just taking the info from a proper news source, like Bondia or Noticiacla.

Two men robbed the jewelry store when the parade was going on. Some shots were fired, no one was hurt. Soon after, one of the assailants was caught by the police. The weapon they showed on the Noticiacla article was a generic photo and they express that in the article. Masnoticia just put the same picture without mentioning it was a generic image. The gun was found, just not the one pictured.

Edit: Sorry, was typing when you asked for the translation Andrea and didn't see it. But everything above comes from the two noticiacla articles. I can still translate word for word a bit later if no one else has by then.

Also, the Aruban police are no joke in these matters. They have a solvency rate of like plus 75%. They caught one of them in no time even with the parade going on.
    Last edited by Arawak; 01-07-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    0 6

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks!
    we need the real story so it cuts down on speculation.

I will close the thread.........if folks want to add more facts, shoot me a private message and I will open the thread long enough to add more info.

thanks Jay, Arawak and all for all of the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    There isn't any real speculation when it comes to the facts of the incident. A lot of Arubans/locals simply get too excited and gossip too much instead of just taking the info from a proper news source, like Bondia or Noticiacla.

Two men robbed the jewelry store when the parade was going on. Some shots were fired, no one was hurt. Soon after, one of the assailants was caught by the police. The weapon they showed on the Noticiacla article was a generic photo and they express that in the article. Masnoticia just put the same picture without mentioning it was a generic image. The gun was found, just not the one pictured.

Edit: Sorry, was typing when you asked for the translation Andrea and didn't see it. But everything above comes from the two noticiacla articles. I can still translate word for word a bit later if no one else has by then.

Also, the Aruban police are no joke in these matters. They have a solvency rate of like plus 75%. They caught one of them in no time even with the parade going on.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1