This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aruba Customs Screening

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    The note that the TSA has put in your box is a USA thing.
    It really has nothing to do with Aruba Customs.
    anyway, I thought that you folks traveled with just your carry ons?
    what boxes? (I am being nosey...sorry)

I too read that person's bio on TA and am suspecting there was some snarky and inappropriate remarks made by the tourist.
    He acted like the was immune from the rules.
    If I were the agent, I would have suspected he was planning on selling or giving that medical equipment away.
    Also too.......I think he maybe could be a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I read that posting and felt bad for the person. However, in reading their bio, it could be they smart mouthed or had way too much luggage. I am on the fence on that whole thing. I am wondering if the poster had an attitude and of course when you do that with someone in a position to make your life miserable, guess which way it goes. We bring in two boxes and almost every time but once, homeland security has opened it and put a note on the box. when the customs agent in Aruba sees the note on the box, they said its been inspected so you can go through.
    0 1

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    We always bring boxes filled with stuff we need there, full size everything, stuff from home, coffee, no food--well, maybe a bag of pretzels I throw in but generally no food, Pam spray, dollar store dish detergent, dishwasher & machine pods, etc., etc. Our carry ons are our clothes, etc. Then when we leave, we don't take anything back that was in the boxes, just our carry ons. I know that that is a homeland security thing but it seems to satisfy the custom agents when we leave the airport.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    that makes sense!!

We always bring boxes filled with stuff we need there, full size everything, stuff from home, coffee, no food--well, maybe a bag of pretzels I throw in but generally no food, Pam spray, dollar store dish detergent, dishwasher & machine pods, etc., etc. Our carry ons are our clothes, etc. Then when we leave, we don't take anything back that was in the boxes, just our carry ons. I know that that is a homeland security thing but it seems to satisfy the custom agents when we leave the airport.
    0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, what we do is there is a guy we know who lives there and has 5 kids. so on the last day, my husband brings everything we have left over including shampoos, suntan lotion, bread, eggs, everything but stuff like milk. We bring him the coffee and we bring one of those costco size ones, any toilet paper, paper towels, stuff for washing clothes, etc. He is so grateful. And of course you can imagine the bags of chips, pretzels, cookies, crackers we buy there, too, lol. And he never minds the liquor, lol. But he is so grateful for everything. We have been doing that every year since we have been going, met him our first year.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is a wonderful thing to do!
    Actually, what we do is there is a guy we know who lives there and has 5 kids. so on the last day, my husband brings everything we have left over including shampoos, suntan lotion, bread, eggs, everything but stuff like milk. We bring him the coffee and we bring one of those costco size ones, any toilet paper, paper towels, stuff for washing clothes, etc. He is so grateful. And of course you can imagine the bags of chips, pretzels, cookies, crackers we buy there, too, lol. And he never minds the liquor, lol. But he is so grateful for everything. We have been doing that every year since we have been going, met him our first year.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Its all pretty clear what is and isn't allowed to bring in if you look at the customs website https://www.douane.aw/en/specific-goods/

I am surprised to see that tourists bring in meat, because its usually seen as a public health risk and most places i've traveled to have restrictions on the import of meats, whether they are frozen or not.

As far as import duties go, there has been a dramatic increase in people just importing everything and not buying locally. Also filling up suitcases to sell on the island without paying due taxes. So, these rules that have always existed, are now being enforced more than before. We had too much of a good thing for too long apparently lol. Especially if your flight is coming from Miami or NYC where many Arubans/locals travel to buy goods then you can expect at least some type of control. Its random though.

Passenger luggage exemption

For certain goods, you are entitled to exemption from import duties and excise duties as you enter this as passenger luggage and you are 16 years of age or older.
    In the table below you can see which goods these are and what the maximum quantities is.
    1. Cigarettes 200 pieces or
    Cigars 25 pieces or
    Cigarillo’s (cigars of a maximum weight of not more than 3 grams) 50 pieces or
    Tobacco 250 g
    2. Spirits (distilled beverage) 1 liter
    3. Other goods than mentioned under 1 and 2 * Till an invoice value van AWG. 400,-
    * these goods are intended for personal use, not for trade or for use in a business or profession.
    If you carry more than this maximum quantities, you must pay import and excise duties.
    Last edited by Arawak; 11-02-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    The only time we were checked was coming from Miami.

0 0

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say go for it. Sounds like worse case scenario is your pot roast and chili gets tossed. For the record on Oct 17th at 1:30 pm we were waived right through along with everyone else.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankfully I have never had to undergo any additional screening on arrival, on my last trip the connecting flight was through Panama and it was there that they broke the lock on my suitcase to take a closer look at the things in my luggage. They must have been really disappointed to find clothing, toiletries and books.

My question is what do they do with all the confiscated items( alcohol, cigarettes, cigars, frozen foods, etc)?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    My first thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    Oops.... well, rules are rules....... Maybe it was generated by the restaurant association..... just thinkin'.....!
    0 0