This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aruba to do/not to do, bring/not to bring list

Post Thanks / Like

Aruba to do/not to do, bring/not to bring list

For the past 6 or so years, while I'm on the plane or in the crying room, I update my list of what I want to do/not do, bring/not bring next time. I do it in the notepad of my smartphone so it's always with me. I add to the list throughout the year after reading trip reports and other posts on this forum, and from what my RL friends here in NH do when they go to Aruba in October and April. Sometimes I'm good about following the list, sometimes things get moved to the following year.

Last year I finally did the kayak/snorkel excursion which had been on my list for two years. In 2016 I did the CA lighthouse tour after reading about the renovations. I'm packing fewer items in my suitcase once in a while. It's a good way for me to plan without actually planning.

One downside about adding something to my list and moving it to the next year a few times is that the tour or restaurant or whatever may close down or just become no longer available. I've always wanted to go to the race track (I LOVE drag racing) and I don't want to go alone. I finally found someone to go with me this year only to find out the track is closed for renovations So it will stay on the list for next year.

I like to return to a couple favorite restaurants, but I want to try at least one new restaurant each visit. This year the newbies on my list are Mi Dudu and the West Deck. Also this year I am sharing a rental car with a mother/daughter duo from Buffalo, NY instead of renting my own for 2 weeks. They are some of my Aruba family I met 18 years ago at Divi. I don't use the car much, but like to have it when I want it. I added 'share car' to my list last year after returning my car. I think this will work out fine. We'll see.

Also on my list are:

Arashi Beach
    Mural Tour
    Sunrise photos on the other side - maybe the chapel
    Bright Bakery
    Zee Rovers (went last year but didn't stay because the friends I was with had no interest)

Don't bring laptop (only used for photo editing and can do that back home)
    Only need 6 bottoms (shorts/skorts) not 10
    Bring 6/7 bathing suits (4 not enough and the year before I had 'bring fewer suits' on my list hahaha)
    Bring extra SD card for camera (since I won't have laptop)
    Bring beach blanket (I bought a cool one on Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do any of the other frequent flyers here have similar lists? Do you just wing it? Are you creatures of habit and stick to the same routines?
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village
    0 3

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    great posting Laura.

we too have similar lists and are always adding and subtracting.

mostly we subtract.

one of our most important things to bring is a power strip.
    we are always charging something!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    great posting Laura.

mostly we subtract.

Yes! I have a bluetooth speaker, extension cord, and auxiliary cable that I keep in my Aruba beach bag (which stays in my Aruba suitcase while stored).
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We went to Mi Dudu shortly after it opened, so a few years ago. It is a very unique setting. I would recommend getting shortly after it opens to get a good table and stay there at least until sunset, as the views are amazing.

We do keep packing lists for future trips, but now have it down pat. Every trip we seem to condense more often then bring, and we have most everything that we need stored anyway.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    great posting Laura.

mostly we subtract.

Never thought to bring a power strip, great idea. guess I will be "adding" at least one item this year so far

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    For this first time this year I am not bringing:

Shampoo/conditione and sunscreen. Even though I know I won't find my brand of shampoo (Pantene) and that I will pay top dollar for I am trying to downsize my luggage for items I know i can purchase at the small store. I'm sure there are more items I hope to decrease just haven't been able to organize my list yet.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    a flashlight is always on our list especially in light of the black outs they have had.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I downsized quite a bit this year but am going to cut some more for our next trip.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I still bring too many outfits (will never change), but an absolute must that I’ve added since my first trip are appropriate hair products and skin care products. The sun and salt water really dries out the hair (I don’t do pools at all) and I find that I need to exfoliate (face) more due to a combination of the heavy use of sun block, adjustment to excessive sun and whatever else. I need to keep my pores clear as that becomes a major issue a few days into Aruba.

0 1

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always bring at least 3 small flashlights. One year we came home, there was a black out and I pulled one out of my purse, then went in the house to find the 2nd one and went upstairs where the 3rd one I placed was at. My husband usually laughs when I throw things in a box "to take" but then when we are there and says you don't happen to have.....of course I do. then he stops laughing. but we are there for a long time.