This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aruba/Holland/Government questions

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Aruba/Holland/Government questions

For our Aruban friends with Dutch roots or our Dutch friends with Aruban roots OR anyone that can answer some questions.

My FB is blowing up with all sorts of stuff sort of Covid related.

One of the Minister's has resigned Minister Bikkar.
    Aruba is or is not receptive or help from Holland or the terms of acceptance?
    When a member of Aruba Parliament resigns what then happens to replace the person?
    And then there is the never ending chatter about the refinery.

Not especially tourism related, but then again it is out there and I am wondering?

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, I'd like to know also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Interesting, I'd like to know also.
    Im contacting people I know in Parliament/Cabinet. I'll post what I find out

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Andrea, Walt and everyone else,

As someone who has been travelling to Aruba for forty years, on and off, I have watched with interest the evolving relationship between Aruba and The Netherlands.

I have always been interested in the intertwined world of politics, the economy and current events on the island.

That said, I am always aware that regardless of how much time or money I spend there, I am and always will be an outsider and as such, my opinion is of little concern to Arubans and Dutch alike.

Have a great weekend.

Glenn
    Winnipeg, Canada
    1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    he glenn. I am not looking for opinions...I am looking for facts, just because I am interested.

maybe once I have some facts, I will come to a conclusion with an opinion. like your's, my opinion will be of little concern as well.
    I would however really like to know about the things that I mentioned in posting #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good morning Andrea, Walt and everyone else,

As someone who has been travelling to Aruba for forty years, on and off, I have watched with interest the evolving relationship between Aruba and The Netherlands.

I have always been interested in the intertwined world of politics, the economy and current events on the island.

That said, I am always aware that regardless of how much time or money I spend there, I am and always will be an outsider and as such, my opinion is of little concern to Arubans and Dutch alike.

Have a great weekend.

Glenn
    Winnipeg, Canada

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have often been curious about the Aruba/Holland relationship. During the shut down I was wondering if the Dutch would offer a stimulus package.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I believe one or more offered......and that is where I get lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Yes I have often been curious about the Aruba/Holland relationship. During the shut down I was wondering if the Dutch would offer a stimulus package.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem like a rather odd relationship. It would be nice to know the facts.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes, I believe one or more offered......and that is where I get lost.

In summary, Andrea. Yes a financial relief package has been offered to the government. There are 28 pages of conditions, some of which the Arubans find too onerous. There was a deadline for acceptance which has passed yet negotiations continue. This's coming Monday is a critical date. From local press, Minister Bikker strongly objected to conditions which eroded some of his power as Justice Minister. The Dutch are offering a 0%,repayable loan but the conditions to oversee expenditures and other controls aren't sitting well with Arubans. The Dutch point out that Since status apart, Aruba has amassed a 50 billion Florin deficit, there has been a lot of corruption and disappearance of money..e.g. The 2 million recently from Serlimar and the now recently launched investigation. The Aruban government has gone to the international finance market as an alternative to the Dutch. There is an offer from the Chinese at 6% without all the conditions. Many are concerned about the Chinese loan and point to Venezuela and those African countries who borrowed and defaulted which resulted in China controlling resources and other aspects of their economy. There is a lot more but this summarizes things here at present.
    Last edited by aquaman; 08-29-2020 at 03:15 PM.

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Post Thanks / Like
    An interesting read
    0 0