This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Attention fellow canadians returning home (to toronto area)

Post Thanks / Like

Attention fellow canadians returning home (to toronto area)

Bon dia all:

I thought I would share the process we followed (quite seamlessly to be honest) for our return to Canada from Aruba.

1. Tuesday - took our COVID test at Palm Beach plaza (USD $75pp). Test taken at 8:15am and results received at 1:30pm.
    2. Wednesday - downloaded and registered on the ArriveCAN app. Registered both my wife and I on the one app. Printed off the ArriveCAN receipt with the registration number. Also registered for SwitchHealth (www.switchhealth.ca) where you will need to register your at-home COVID tests.
    3. Wednesday - scheduled a car service to drive us from the hotel in Buffalo over the border and directly home. www.aalimoniagara.com

($CDN 295 for ride straight to our home in Mississauga).4. Thursday - flew Aruba to Buffalo (via JFK on Delta). The US airlines require you to sign a passenger disclosure and attestation form so it is more convenient to have this completed before going to the airport.
    5. Stayed at the Buffalo Marriott Niagara ($97 and free shuttle from airport). There is a COVID testing site right in their driveway - www.wnyrtcom (best to register online in advance).
    6. Friday (today) - got COVID test at 8:15am at the testing site at the Marriott (USD $300 pp for rush results) ... received results at 9am (yes you read that correct). Asked the front desk of the Marriott to print the results.
    7. Friday - confirmed and rescheduled car service earlier than originally booked - very helpful folks at AA Limo Niagara..
    8. Friday - left the Buffalo Marriott at 10:10am. Driver (Juan) chose the Peace Bridge crossing in Fort Erie - no one in line and crossed within 5 minutes. Border agent provided 2 COVID test kits each - one we need to complete today and one 10 days into our 14 day quarantine (no cost). Purolator Courier picks up test samples. He asked us to take the first test at the collection site at the border and we asked if we can administer at home as we want to give our nasal passage a rest after already having a test this morning. He agreed so we left.
    9. Friday - arrived home at 12:15.
    10. Friday (now) Online now to take our first at-home COVID test . . . only glitch is there are 680 people awaiting a Telehealth nurse to walk you through the process (which I am going to check if that is really required).

One tip we found useful is to print off everything and don’t rely only on digital copies.

I hope this helps our fellow Canadians on their journey back to Canada. Stay healthy and safe everyone. The current situation in Ontario is scary ... we may be back in Aruba sooner than we planned.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the border was closed between the US and Canada.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, maybe a loophole? Last I read, the borders were still closed until April 21st and travel was forbidden to “sun destinations”, Mexico and Carribean until April 30th.
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 04-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I thought the border was closed between the US and Canada.
    They didn't fly to Canada.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It is confusing! So, I guess that means you can drive over the border but not fly in?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Michael! That was really helpful and insightful.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone can fly into Canada (but not from the Caribbean or Mexico), but I think only Canadians or essential personnel can cross into Canada on land. I am not sure, but if you fly in you have quarantine in a hotel for a few days, but if you drive in, you can go right to your home?

0 0