This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoid Downtown FRIDAY SEPT 13 between 1 and 4 pm

Post Thanks / Like
    At the same time, the employees of Meta corporation where there as well. They are protesting against the sin tax, because it is only directed against soda and Meta Corp is the only company bottling that. And Meta Corp is also into private owned waste management. The government is also making that impossible. All in all, of the 9 or so companies that make up Meta Corp, rumor is that 2 will have to close down due to the plans of the goverment. This was a week filled with protests.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had read of the sin tax......SUGAR and soda related.
    I was going to make a thread about it, but I do not even know what to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchdushi View Post
    At the same time, the employees of Meta corporation where there as well. They are protesting against the sin tax, because it is only directed against soda and Meta Corp is the only company bottling that. And Meta Corp is also into private owned waste management. The government is also making that impossible. All in all, of the 9 or so companies that make up Meta Corp, rumor is that 2 will have to close down due to the plans of the goverment. This was a week filled with protests.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with these protests is that 3 or 4 of them happened all at the same time. This should obviously never have been allowed in the first place by the police.

Secondly, i'de take with a large grain of salt any statements coming from the different press releases on the island. The island is in huge debt because of financial mismanagement by the past government and many government workers insist on still getting full and/or extra benefits on top of their actual salaries. Benefits that the working class outside of government do not enjoy, but they still have to sustain all the extra taxes and rising cost of living. Only in Aruba do people expect to get rich with government work.

The sugar tax is a proposed plan that is only now being discussed, among others, to curb the unsustainable public health costs and to achieve a reduction in the public deficit. Metacorp, is against this change and decided to drive all their trucks into town as a protest. Fortunately, the law hasn't even come to parliament yet and how they would potentially implement it, is still not known. Whether the hypothetical change will actually impact them in such a way as to needing to shut down, is questionable. As of yet I have not seen any evidence of this.

The teachers were there because they oppose a plan by the minister of education on some proposed changes. I am not exactly sure of what exactly as its impossible to keep track of everything.
    Last edited by Arawak; 09-16-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    3 0