This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biting Bugs and dogs on the beach

Post Thanks / Like
    Guilty as charge. I not only feed the fur babies..
    But will carry treats/water for them in my bag, and if allowed give them some extra love.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    "If you feed them they will come...and stay". Bugs were better today until about 4...then the little black gnats became bothersome. Ocean water is very warm considering all the rain we have had.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not wild covering myself with poison, so the lavender oil is a good option.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post
    Poor doggies. It's sad that they are going hungry.

I will be ordering my bug repellant, wipes, and lavender oil today. If anyone is interested, lavender oil is a natural mosquito repellant. It also helps that it smells fabulous. I prefer natural repellants, but sometimes they have a strong medicinal smell (eucalyptus) so I like to mix with lavender.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered some bug repellent I used in the past that was very effective.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't feed stray animals. I feel for the canucu dogs, but it's best not to feed them as is evidenced by their hanging around. But enough about that. Lets talk about bug bites. Where are you folks when the bugs attack? Pam is a mosquito magnet. She even gets bit in our house somehow, but very seldom in Aruba. In fact the only place we've seen mosquito activity is on Renaissance Island one afternoon years ago. Are the bugs inland? Do the resorts spray for bugs? We've been in Aruba from April through October and never see mosquitoes or no-see-ums either. Are we just lucky?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Walt, like you, the only place we saw mosquitos was on Renaissance Island. The area was posted so we knew to avoid. Never experienced it at any of the resorts. I know people who have had issues at some of the restaurants but we never have. Possibly because we tend to dine early.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to say I've never even seen or felt a mosquito or other tiny flying creatures on my stays at both Palm and Eagle beaches. But then they don't seem to like me much in Connecticut either. Guess I'm just not sweet enough for them! LOL!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    We don't feed stray animals. I feel for the canucu dogs, but it's best not to feed them as is evidenced by their hanging around. But enough about that. Lets talk about bug bites. Where are you folks when the bugs attack? Pam is a mosquito magnet. She even gets bit in our house somehow, but very seldom in Aruba. In fact the only place we've seen mosquito activity is on Renaissance Island one afternoon years ago. Are the bugs inland? Do the resorts spray for bugs? We've been in Aruba from April through October and never see mosquitoes or no-see-ums either. Are we just lucky?
    I got bit pretty much everywhere I went. Sitting outside at Cafe 080, sitting outside at Fireson, sitting outside at the Airbnb pool, sitting outside at Smokey Joes, etc. We were pretty much anywhere but the resort areas. Maybe they spray for them there and that is why there aren't so many?
    Pictures from our Oct 2020 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGHm1uumCXGEkEHv5

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    We seem to have gotten bitten the most at dusk while being outdoors.
    The mosquitos in Aruba seem to be different than the ones in the USA.
    The ones in USA seem to be larger and noisier (the buzz is louder) or so it seems.

We had a very bad experience at an outdoor restaurant in Aruba years ago.
    The mosquitos were very bad and we had to leave.
    For us that was a first and a one and only.

For me though going out onto the beach or by the pool at an ungodly early hour to secure a spot in the shade, was the worst for flying and biting bugs.
    I don't believe that they were mosquitos but were still very problematic.

As a result of this thread we have those OFF coil things that send off a repellent smoke to keep mosquitos away sitting on the dining room table with the "stuff to pack"

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    When we went to Arikok last week, they had those coil things burning in holders on the floor of the Visitors Center and that was at 10am. The mosquitoes must be all over!
    Pictures from our Oct 2020 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGHm1uumCXGEkEHv5

0 0