This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Boating License Requirement?

Post Thanks / Like

Boating License Requirement?

Hello, I am trying to find out what are the rules and regulations for recreationally boating in Aruba?
    Going to be buying a second home in Aruba and shipping a boat over to use when in Aruba (5 months of the year).
    I have heard that you have to have a Captains license from Aruba to boat?
    Note this will only be boating for myself and family, not charters etc.

Thanks for any information!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a "klein vaarbewijs"(license for boat up to 20 ft) . You need to take a short course at Enseñansa pa Empleo to obtain it. Contact info:
    https://www.epearuba.com/courses-2/
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, as my boat will be over 20ft and I will not be a resident, what would I need then? Or would it be the same as if I were a foreigner visiting and and boating?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ohana View Post
    Thank you, as my boat will be over 20ft and I will not be a resident, what would I need then? Or would it be the same as if I were a foreigner visiting and and boating?
    I went and looked at the government website and turns out the "klein vaarbewijs" is for crafts up to 20 meters, not feet. So, its valid for crafts up to 65ft. Which makes more sense now that I think about it . For boats longer than that you need the "groot vaarbewijs". You can't pass the second one without first completing the first course.

Valid exceptions would be boats arriving from and/or leaving towards set international destinations, floating homes, motorless small crafts etc. For boats that "reside" in Aruba, the license is needed.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, there, I wanted to give you the information I received back from the Aruba Government Office regarding both importing of vessels and license requirements.
    Hope it helps others as well!

Good day.
    My name is Rudy Beaujon, Harbour Master of the Aruba Government.
    If you establish yourself in Aruba and register with the census office, as citizen of Aruba you can import your household to Aruba without paying import duties.
    If not, you will have to pay import duties on all that you import.
    After clearing your vessel with the customs department you will have to register your vessel at the Directorate of Shipping Aruba (DSA)
    After registration you will get an inspection and a “Vaarvergunning” a permit for sailing within the territorial waters will be handed out to you and you will be clear to use your boat in Aruba.
    Hope this answers your questions.
    Kind regards.
    R.P. Beaujon
    Harbour Master/PSC Officer
    Italiestraat # 20
    Oranjestad
    Aruba
    Phone: (+297) 5835192
    Mobile: (+297) 5928799
    0 0