This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Caribbean Journal is at it again.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like

Caribbean Journal is at it again.

Good afternoon,

Now that we've calmed down a bit after CJ list of the 50 Best Restaurants in the Caribbean omitted all but one Aruba dining spot comes their of the 20 Best Islands in the Caribbean to visit in 2020. It appeared in today's issue.

Aruba made it in at #19, the only place they mention is San Nicholas. It can be disappointing and frustrating to see our favourite island so poorly regarded by the folks at CJ.

We think it is still the best place in the Caribbean.

Glenn
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they aren't getting enough advertising $$$ from here.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arawak mentioned in a posting that the ABC islands are not on the radar most of the time for the CJ.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, they mostly focus on the West Indian, Caricom member islands. They have very little perspective on the ABC islands in general. Most locals wouldn't even know of the Caribbean Journals existence. But, when tourists are looking for "Caribbean news" you'll most definitely come across the CJ in google results.

The important thing to know is that the "Caribbean" is not integrated. Integration happens mostly through Caricom, but not all islands are members and when it comes to news there exists no one place to get news from the Caribbean in its entirety. Caribbeannews, loop Jamaica, CJ, Caribbean360, are all commonwealth/caricom oriented. When they do mention one of the ABC's, its usually either very limited or in relation to another island.
    2 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is a brief overview of Caricom
    I had heard the word a few times, but never knew of the 15 islands that were members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Community
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    Yes, they mostly focus on the West Indian, Caricom member islands. They have very little perspective on the ABC islands in general. Most locals wouldn't even know of the Caribbean Journals existence. But, when tourists are looking for "Caribbean news" you'll most definitely come across the CJ in google results.

The important thing to know is that the "Caribbean" is not integrated. Integration happens mostly through Caricom, but not all islands are members and when it comes to news there exists no one place to get news from the Caribbean in its entirety. Caribbeannews, loop Jamaica, CJ, Caribbean360, are all commonwealth/caricom oriented. When they do mention one of the ABC's, its usually either very limited or in relation to another island.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post

Good morning,

Thank you Arawak and Andrea:

Arawak; you provide an Aruban perspective which other forum members simply cannot have, no matter how many times we visit the island. There is often a tendency among Canadians and Americans to view the entire Caribbean as one homogeneous area, and of course it is not. You provide valuable insight as to why publications like Caribbean Journal sound the way they do.

Andrea; thank you for providing the Caricom profile on Wikpedia. It is very helpful.

Given Arawak's comments and Andrea's link, I hope to go a little less off the deep end whenever I see Aruba roundly ignored in CJ.

Glenn
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped reading CJ a while ago. I think it was the time they had an article about low cost options in the Caribbean. There were no low cost options (at least to us) and the article seemed like advertising for certain companies. Wish I could remember details, but I don't remember what I ate for dinner last night.