This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Duty Free and/or bringing some with you

Post Thanks / Like

Duty Free and/or bringing some with you

Can someone point me to where I can find the rules for what we are allowed to bring to the island re cigarettes/alcohol (can you even bring alcohol?) Is there a limit as to how much alcohol can be purchased at the DF in the airport by the luggage rack? What are the consequences of bringing/buying too much? I've searched a bit, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

TIA!
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey Laura
    it has been a while!!!

here is a link that may answer questions
    https://www.douane.aw/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Laura in NH View Post
    Can someone point me to where I can find the rules for what we are allowed to bring to the island re cigarettes/alcohol (can you even bring alcohol?) Is there a limit as to how much alcohol can be purchased at the DF in the airport by the luggage rack? What are the consequences of bringing/buying too much? I've searched a bit, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

TIA!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure wish the duty was posted in English and on less than 380 pages. I think on some items it's cheaper to buy at home and pay duty than to buy on the island, but I've never proved the theory. Does anyone know what the duty is for a liter of booze?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andrea!!

Ok I see that but the excise and custom fees are not in English.

I would happily pay the fees, but I saw a thread earlier that says a tourists extras were confiscated and returned at departure when fees were paid. Is it not possible to pay the fees and keep the goods? Do I sound like an idiot? Sorry... My friend smokes and is going for two weeks and was planning to bring 2 cartons - only one is allowed it seems (200 cig limit). Yes, she knows she could buy cigs there, but they don't sell her brand on the island.

I also like to bring a few nips of flavored vodka to make my pudding shots (can't find them on the island - I've looked for the past 5 years) but also like to buy a bottle of Bailey's at duty free. I don't want to cause trouble or anything so I'm trying to find the options, if any.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you carry a carton of smokes for your friend? I would think you are allowed to keep your goods after paying the duty on them. But I've been wrong before.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are not traveling at the same time, or I would!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    YES they do confiscate excessive cigarettes and will charge you duty (I do not know the amount) and you get them back when you check in to return home.....it is a pain in the bum process. My friend Louie bought more than she was supposed to, had to pay a tax and then picked them up when she left the island.

We often would pick up a carton of smokes in duty free for a friend who lives on the island.
    She has quit smoking though.

We always buy Baileys in DF.
    0 0