This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First two confirmed corona cases on Aruba

Post Thanks / Like

First two confirmed corona cases on Aruba

The first two confirmed corona cases on Aruba where announced today. One is an Aruba citizen who stayed in New York, the other is an American consultant currently working for WEB that did travel from New York. All events are cancelled until 3/31. Also all flights from Europe, which doesn’t make sense as these cases do not have any link with Europe. I wonder how long flights from the States are going to be allowed. At this moment, I guess the dollar speaks louder to the government than the euro.
    1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks!
    I am also going to copy this to the existing thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchdushi View Post
    The first two confirmed corona cases on Aruba where announced today. One is an Aruba citizen who stayed in New York, the other is an American consultant currently working for WEB that did travel from New York. All events are cancelled until 3/31. Also all flights from Europe, which doesn’t make sense as these cases do not have any link with Europe. I wonder how long flights from the States are going to be allowed. At this moment, I guess the dollar speaks louder to the government than the euro.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    One local page said the American had recently been in Europe.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to lock this thread if it turns into any speculation.
    We know that it is now in Aruba, 2 cases confirmed.
    1 case is a person from Aruba, that had visited NY, returned to Aruba and now is either ill or tested positive.
    2nd case is an American who is a contract employee of the Aruba WEB plant, he or she tested positive and is either ill or not yet experiencing symptoms.

I have been told both are ill, but it is not able to be verified.
    I am hoping my sources will verify.

Also the top of this site mentions Health. Please check it periodically for updates.

With the amount of tourists that go into Aruba this was absolutely expected......hope for the best, but it was expected.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchdushi View Post
    At this moment, I guess the dollar speaks louder to the government than the euro.
    With cases ending in China, Europe in now the epicenter of the virus. I think it is irresponsible to say and has nothing to do with the euro vs the dollar. A widespread virus outbreak on the island would be devastating and I see why they have banned flights from Europe for the time being. With an upcoming trip several weeks away, we are holding our breath with regards to US flight cancellations. I feel sorry for our members that are in Europe who may have plans to visit soon and hope they stay well.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed detergent. Got to SuperFoods at 840. It is nuts! It is like the day before Thanksgiving and a hurricane coming at the same time. I’ll post pictures later if I ever get out of this line which is 15-20 people deep. So much for social distancing and no large crowds.

Took about 30 minutes to check out.

5 pictures posted
    Last edited by robin; 03-14-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, as a local, I'm not going anywhere near super foods or lings. I did my shopping a week ago knowing how the situation would evolve by seeing other countries.I suggest going to a neighborhood Chinese store. Also watch out for price gauging. The government has threatened the removal of store licenses but you never know one might try it anyway.

Its true it has nothing to do with Euro vs Dollar, they are simply following the WHO. You can also expect border closure to the states to occur if the number of cases keep going up. The WHO sees Europe now as the epicenter, but there is no way of knowing how its spread in the US due to a total lack of initial response. It might be closer to Europe than we believe.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Walt. Hanging in here thinking about going to Lings, but may be too crazy.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a family here at Oceania that is from England. The parents are owners and plan to go back April 2. The son-in-law is supposed to fly to day and his wife and littles one along with her sister on Monday. They have no idea of they are going home or staying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to lings at 1230 today, 14 Mar. they politely took everyone’s temp via scanner to the hand. They then pointed to disinfecting wipes to clean cart handles, very well done and good job. Not too crowded and stocked very well. Back by the pool. Mission accomplished.
    1 3