This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting sick while in Aruba?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    If you need non prescription medication during the night or just when everything is closed, the pharmacy near the hospital has a vending machine that has medications in it such a cough meds, pain relief, Tums, etc. This the first place I ever saw this type of vending machine.
    Attachment 7983
    That is so amazing!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    If you need non prescription medication during the night or just when everything is closed, the pharmacy near the hospital has a vending machine that has medications in it such a cough meds, pain relief, Tums, etc. This the first place I ever saw this type of vending machine.
    Attachment 7983
    Good to know since all the resort stores close somewhat early, thanks!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We never needed a doctor but have needed to gets Meds. I left at home by accident. The pharmcist was great. The prices were fantastic. Cheaper than at home. All worked out great.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband got sick in 2017. We stayed 4 days at Hi and then moved to ABC.The Saturdaywe moved to ABC he suddenly said he had a bad headache,couldn’t eat by Sunday everyday he got up, would look horrible but say he felt a little better but he never did feel better- he was lying to me. By the time we left on Thursday I was a wreck. I was afraid he was going to die on me on the plane ride home. He couldn’t drive us home from Logan so I did. I wanted to take him to ER but he said no he wanted to sleep in his own bed( I understand that feeling) so home we went. On Friday I talked him into going to Urgent care here at home. Urgent care said go to ER,go directly to ER. So instead he came home first,did a few things,went to ER where they admitted him to ICU. He had bacterial pneumonia and spent the the longest weekend in the hospital. If he ever gets sick again in Aruba he is going to Urgent care on day 1.
    Jayna-Beach Bum at ❤️
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!
    He is so fortunate that he did survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayshea View Post
    My husband got sick in 2017. We stayed 4 days at Hi and then moved to ABC.The Saturdaywe moved to ABC he suddenly said he had a bad headache,couldn’t eat by Sunday everyday he got up, would look horrible but say he felt a little better but he never did feel better- he was lying to me. By the time we left on Thursday I was a wreck. I was afraid he was going to die on me on the plane ride home. He couldn’t drive us home from Logan so I did. I wanted to take him to ER but he said no he wanted to sleep in his own bed( I understand that feeling) so home we went. On Friday I talked him into going to Urgent care here at home. Urgent care said go to ER,go directly to ER. So instead he came home first,did a few things,went to ER where they admitted him to ICU. He had bacterial pneumonia and spent the the longest weekend in the hospital. If he ever gets sick again in Aruba he is going to Urgent care on day 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayshea View Post
    Wow, he is lucky to be alive and not get ARDS which can be deadly, too.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    He is very lucky to be alive because that plane ride home was so scary for me. He lost 20 lbs also which he still struggles keeping the weight back on. I wanted to come home on Tuesday because I knew he wouldn’t go to a Dr in Aruba but here at home I had his Mom to knock sense into him. It was actually his Aunt(who had our dog) who told him he couldn’t have the dog back until he saw the dr.- haha.
    Jayna-Beach Bum at ❤️
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andrea, that is good to know about submitting it to the Trip Insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Recently I was on a 4 night cruise Thursday - Monday and was seasick (actually praying that I would die) on Thursday and Saturday.
    So being sick for 2 of the 4 days was bad.

Have you or your travel companions ever been ill in Aruba?
    What were your options? What did you do to help yourself or your companions?

We have had a couple of visits to the ER, and 1 visit to the urgent care.
    The ER visits were "prior" to the urgent care places opening.

Our situations included:
    ear infections/swimmer's ear. ER
    gi upset virus/food poisoning ER
    cut needing stitches (but they used glue!!). Urgent Care
    grandson with ear infection and cough. Urgent Care

Each time we were treated promptly and competently.
    Each time the cost was less than half the cost of USA prices.
    Each time our trip insurance reimbursed us 100%.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is important that if you submit a claim to your insurance from Aruba ER or Urgent Care.
    make sure it is translated to English (for USA and Canada).
    there will be some that say you can submit in Dutch, but my experiences and what I have been told by many is that Dutch will be rejected and that will cause delays in reimbursement.

most recently (Aug) a friend broke her ankle in the lobby at Hyatt, her trip insurance covered (reimbursed) all of the ER costs and then her health insurance for treatment here has kicked in.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoki View Post
    Hi Andrea, that is good to know about submitting it to the Trip Insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I often travel to Aruba with my parents, who are in their 70s. We have unfortunately had 2 medical emergencies while in Aruba. The first time, my mom was not feeling well near the end of the flight down, but she just thought it was the long travel day so she wanted to rest in the room. She woke up in the middle of the night, very sick, so we went to the hospital. They told us it was her appendix. We wanted to fly her home for care, but they said it wouldn’t be safe. She went in for surgery that morning, only to find it wasn’t her appendix, but a perforated hernia. They fixed it and sent us back to the hotel after two days, telling us to put her on soft foods. She couldn’t eat and ended up back in the hospital two days later, dehydrated. Luckily, she was feeling better a few days later to head home. No travel insurance this trip, so had to pay all bills out of pocket before we left, though it was much cheaper than it would have been in the US.
    The second time, we were on our last day of our trip and my dad started having stroke-like symptoms by the pool. Went to the hospital and he ended up having TIAs for the next day and a half. We were able to bring him home a few days later. This time, they had insurance and it not only paid the hospital bill but also our extended stay at the hotel, airfare change fees and our cell phone bill calling home to keep in touch with family.
    I think the biggest challenge we had was communication with the hospital. There were some issues with the language barrier. And I don’t think the “bedside manner” is the same. With both visits, some days we would only see the doctor once and they wouldn’t update us. They’d just do a quick check and then leave. And we had to try and track down updates from the nurses. It could have been our own feelings about it too - so scary to be out of the US and have a medical emergency!
    0 0