This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How YOUR Aruba Vacations Have Evolved Over The Years

Post Thanks / Like
    Sames as all above. Less late nights, more beach time. Cook a little bit, bring duty free booze and go more to low key places to eat. Thankfully we love fish and that's cheaper than meat. By making those changes we have been able to stay longer and longer each year. 2 weeks next year. We do bring less clothes and really no dress up apparel. We do bring things to make our stay better. Papasons, tumbler cups Plus travel straws (now) , koozies, woozies, towel clips,mini flashlight, soft cooler, vacation vault, sacks for food shopping,empty plastic water bottles (great to refill and freeze drinks and water in). Bottled water is expensive on the island. These little things make out stay more pleasant for us. We used to pack more clothes and less money. We have changed over the years.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 4

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahahahaha "we used to pack more clothes and less money"

Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Sames as all above. Less late nights, more beach time. Cook a little bit, bring duty free booze and go more to low key places to eat. Thankfully we love fish and that's cheaper than meat. By making those changes we have been able to stay longer and longer each year. 2 weeks next year. We do bring less clothes and really no dress up apparel. We do bring things to make our stay better. Papasons, tumbler cups Plus travel straws (now) , koozies, woozies, towel clips,mini flashlight, soft cooler, vacation vault, sacks for food shopping,empty plastic water bottles (great to refill and freeze drinks and water in). Bottled water is expensive on the island. These little things make out stay more pleasant for us. We used to pack more clothes and less money. We have changed over the years.
    Sean and Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I failed to mention is we spend less time on the beach and more at the pool. When we stayed at the Ren, the beach was fairly shaded. At Eagle Beach, there are not enough palapas and there are a lot of palapa hogs-get down early, put out chairs at a palapa, but don't come back for hours on end. Hubby should avoid the sun. The pool is more social, more secure and there are bathrooms, too. While I love to spend time in the ocean, I am happy to see the beach and the ocean from the condo. We eat out a couple of times a week and cook the rest-when we were there for a week or two, we never cooked. We spend a lot of time on our balcony instead of in the condo-eat most of our meals on the balcony.

0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    We started going over 20 years ago we were a young married couple with no worries and limited cash, lol. We dined pretty low key most nights and did one or 2 good meals each week. We spent the entire vacation on the beach during the day and gambled a bit every night. 20 years and 30 trips later our trips have changed. We spend more time at the pool now because our son likes the pool better than the ocean. We dine fancy almost every night as thats what we enjoy at this point. But the biggest change is we now have tons of island friends and spend a good part of each vacation spending time with them. Our trips have become longer as well. The other change is I gamble much less at this point. Part of the reduced gambling is I value a dollar more at this point and the other point is my son gets up early and I want to be ready to do the family thing and not be hung over, lol.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 06-17-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Our first trip was with two teenage boys. It was timeshare exchange. We only rented a jeep for a few days. We went everywhere on the island and fell in love.Our next trip back was as a couple, but we had purchased a resale at the Renaissance. We started to come back on Christmas and Easter breaks for a week and rented a jeep for a full week. It always felt like "home" once we landed. We also bought an "escape" through II and stayed at the Divi Golf for our anniversary the last year I was working-I decided to use up my sick time. The year I retired, we came for two+ weeks-one at the Ren and one at LaCabana and stared our condo search and were lucky to find what we did and came back for another week for settlement. Now we own our condo and a car and are there for 3 months at a time.
    Robin, that's great, but it must be hard waiting until your return back to Aruba to use your "2nd home". Do you rent your condo when you're not there?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Our trips have changed a bunch over the years. Our first stay was downtown for a week at the Ren. Thanks to the purchase at Surf Club years ago, we now stay around three weeks spending all of our time in Palm Beach. Our first two weeks are at Surf Club, we cook most breakfasts and some lunches and dinners. We move to Holiday Inn the final week and there are no cooking facilities so we eat out every meal. We pack less clothes now and take more money. We've fine tuned our packing lists, bringing such essentials as an anchor rig for floating in the ocean, a sunshade for the rental car, and reusable grocery bags. We leave behind really dressy clothes, and unless we are doing an activity that requires them closed toe shoes stay home. We split our time pretty evenly between the pool and beach at Surf Club, but all of our time at Holiday Inn is on the beach thanks to a reserved palapa. We don't visit many high end places for dinner, we did at first, but now we like the more reasonably priced restaurants. We also like to get off the resort and explore the island there is so much to see and do. We don't make many RSVPs in advance except for excursions, we book everything else while we're on the island. We have no scheduled events except when we move, depart for the airport and forum get togethers. If we can't get something we want booked one day, the next day is fine... or the next trip. It's all about relaxing and enjoying the people, the beach and pools and the weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really am enjoying this thread! It's funny how an Aruba vacation is all about how to relax, and for the most part everyone has the same idea. Beach. Pool, food. My family is not the seasoned Aruba vets that many here are, but our plans are basically the same. We wnet from an overpacked, carting everything but the kitchen sick in way too many bags to "can we get it all in one bag and have one left for souveniers for the poor sould we left behind? LOL!

I think that for us, Aruba has turned into the family vacation that revolves around the beach and pool, with one day spent exploring. We are primarily Disney folks, and those trips need to be planned and structured in advance, so Aruba is a welcomed respite from that kind of vacation.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow another thing we need to bring, an "anchor Line"! Sounds like another great tip from this forum. It's all about the relaxation tips here! Pretty soon we will only have room for a T-shirt and Bathing suit with all the trip equipment we bring!
    Sean and Susan
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone please send us some info on an anchor rig? Picture and where to get it. We love to float in Aruba!
    Sean and Susan
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.amazon.com/Jet-Logic-PWC...s%2C163&sr=8-4

here is one from Amazon
    they have others