This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Travel Insurance

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

The Importance of Travel Insurance

Please
    If there is nothing else that you take away from this forum...........please take away this.

Most folks NEED travel insurance when traveling internationally.

Foreign countries do not accept Medicare or Medicaid.
    Most if not all foreign countries will will not accept your health insurance, but WILL accept your credit card or cash.

Your health insurance company may/may not reimburse you for out of pocket monies that you paid for care.

If you miss your flights due to traffic, car trouble illness.............without travel insurance you may be out of luck if you have a non refundable ticket for air or hotel reservation.

If your bags get lost, misdirected
    stolen .............you can be out of luck.

PLEASE PLEASE buy a travel insurance policy for when you book international.

There are many choices.

Here are 2 of the many:

www.insuremytrip.com
    and
    wwwsquaremouth.com

Make sure there is a Covid inclusion.

an existing thread about the importance.
    https://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/importance-trip-travel-insurance-69251/?highlight=insurance
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-31-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea, good advice. We bought a very inexpensive policy thru AARP (AARDY) for exactly the coverage we needed. Most importantly it covered all medical and medical evacuation as well as trip interruption and delays. $80 for both my wife and I.
    The company is IMG and the policy is called Travel SE.
    Brian

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Or .....make sure your bases are covered in other ways if any of the above issues should happen.

We typically don't purchase travel insurance (and we usually travel internationally 4 times a year to various countries) but we know what our medical insurance covers, what our Amex covers (car rental insurance, baggage loss, etc.), what our options are with the airlines due to change/cancellation, what the resort or rental policies are due to change or cancellations. If you know these things ahead of time and are aware of what the loss may or may not be then you can make a decision on if travel insurance is needed.
    Last edited by ~Amy~®; 03-31-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    ~Amy~® -- South Beach: Jan. 2020 -- New Orleans: Feb. 2020 -- Playa del Carmen: March 2020 -- San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020 -- 40th trip to Aruba: Oct. & Nov. 2020 -- 41st trip to Aruba: Feb & March 2021

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent point Andrea which is a reminder that is needed from time to time because we want people to be protected and covered. The most important thing to me as far as insurance is the MEDEVAC Coverage which usually runs from 25K to 50K and insurance covers. God forbid you needed to be evacuated to the states on account that the medical facility where you are at does not have the trained dr, facilities etc and you needed to be transported to a US hospital. I know my insurance doesn't cover medvac so I get the insurance..
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you Amy that you appear "covered" Who else has Amex these days? Its a hack of a card that charges businesses 3-4 percent to use which is why most places don't take it...but anyways.

As far as I know it does not matter what insurance you have back at home...if you want to rely on charging potentially 100k on a credit card (sorry I had a bill over well over 100,000 years ago) go ahead and take your chances with the CC- for all others, Andrea has a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    Or .....make sure your bases are covered in other ways if any of the above issues should happen.

We typically don't purchase travel insurance (and we usually travel internationally 4 times a year to various countries) but we know what our medical insurance covers, what our Amex covers (car rental insurance, baggage loss, etc.), what our options are with the airlines due to change/cancellation, what the resort or rental policies are due to change or cancellations. If you know these things ahead of time and are aware of what the loss may or may not be then you can make a decision on if travel insurance is needed.
    Trip 32 begins on July 15.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Simply offering other options / information. Sheesh! Everyone has their own preferences as far as what works for them. No need to criticize my personal choices that work for me. The extras that the Delta Amex card offers works for me and I have never had anyone deny my Amex (use it everywhere!) except the Aruba Hospital outlet for my Covid test - LOL! (But I always carry a back up).

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Good for you Amy that you appear "covered" Who else has Amex these days? Its a hack of a card that charges businesses 3-4 percent to use which is why most places don't take it...but anyways.

As far as I know it does not matter what insurance you have back at home...if you want to rely on charging potentially 100k on a credit card (sorry I had a bill over well over 100,000 years ago) go ahead and take your chances with the CC- for all others, Andrea has a great idea.
    ~Amy~® -- South Beach: Jan. 2020 -- New Orleans: Feb. 2020 -- Playa del Carmen: March 2020 -- San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020 -- 40th trip to Aruba: Oct. & Nov. 2020 -- 41st trip to Aruba: Feb & March 2021

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes indeed medical evacuations are something to really consider.

And criticizing, no, I see it a differing opinion. Which is what is welcomed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Excellent point Andrea which is a reminder that is needed from time to time because we want people to be protected and covered. The most important thing to me as far as insurance is the MEDEVAC Coverage which usually runs from 25K to 50K and insurance covers. God forbid you needed to be evacuated to the states on account that the medical facility where you are at does not have the trained dr, facilities etc and you needed to be transported to a US hospital. I know my insurance doesn't cover medvac so I get the insurance..
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-31-2021 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added 2 commas

Post Thanks / Like
    I am happy for you Amy is not an attack on you or how you choose to insure yourself- Amex is not something that is taken in lots places around here...I live in Boston because of the costs associated with it are outrageous. How do I know this...my wifes corporate card is Amex and she tries to going go places that accept it...or she needs to put in on our CC and apply for a reimbursement which is pain as we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    Simply offering other options / information. Sheesh! Everyone has their own preferences as far as what works for them. No need to criticize my personal choices that work for me. The extras that the Delta Amex card offers works for me and I have never had anyone deny my Amex (use it everywhere!) except the Aruba Hospital outlet for my Covid test - LOL! (But I always carry a back up).
    Trip 32 begins on July 15.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    I am happy for you Amy is not an attack on you or how you choose to insure yourself- Amex is not something that is taken in lots places around here...I live in Boston because of the costs associated with it are outrageous. How do I know this...my wifes corporate card is Amex and she tries to going go places that accept it...or she needs to put in on our CC and apply for a reimbursement which is pain as we all know.
    Interesting. Both my husband and I travel for work and use our Amex on the east and west coasts in addition to International (hotels, restaurants, airfares, car rentals) - never any problems. Been using it for 15+ years. Now, if you are trying to use it at a mom and pop / small town store then probably different story, but big cities, no problem. We wouldn't continue our use with it if places didn't accept it. So all is good here. Plus, it covers car rental insurance (even in Aruba!)
    Last edited by ~Amy~®; 03-31-2021 at 06:13 PM.

0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good points here. I always purchase some form of insurance and how much depends on how I book my trip. I use my Amex for car rentals because of the insurance coverage. I use an Airline Visa for flights and sometimes the accommodation, which covers things like baggage, delays, etc. I ALWAYS make sure that whatever supplemental insurance I purchase has medical of a certain limit, evacuation of a certain limit, and cancel for any reason.

0 2