This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk trip prep

Post Thanks / Like
    You are too funny Andrea! And I can relate. Our situation was so bad I wouldn't dare take a photo. We just had to unpack and repack the bag we packed earlier and for once it wasn't me being the crazy person! Jon remembered that we had used our booties as water shoes at some point and couldn't remember if we had put them back in our respective gear bags or if they were at my dads house in a beach bag we have been leaving there, which is an hour and a half away. Good news, the booties are here and no one was injured in the repacking of the bag..LOL.

I've also learned that I pack less when I do not pack in my bedroom with my closet right there. So the next couple days I will move my clothes to a staging area on our lower level and pack the suitcase down there. It keeps me from randomly adding things and it saves Jon from carrying the big full bag down 2 flights of stairs. win win.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 11-22-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We always pack clothes in two suitcases-we have been doing it for years.

For us packing for Aruba is a little different. We do have most of the clothes we need in the condo, but I am always adding more. For us it bringing stuff we can't get in Aruba, or is very expensive. We usually go with 3 or 4 large suitcases, but hubby refuses to do that now, so it is two this time. Stuff we are bringing this time-new set of flatware that is the same as what is in the condo because there are missing pieces and it is not available on the island. Replacement dishes for what we already have since it is sold open stock(Corelle) in our grocery store but not in Aruba, brackets for our balcony glass-it's a long story, but they are very difficult to get on the island, 3-4 months worth of meds which go in carry ons along with the electronics. Beach towels which I bought last year on clearance for almost nothing at Kohls. I have blanket from our beach condo I want to take down, but it may not happen this year. Lots of odds and ends and personal care items unavailable in Aruba. For us it is a matter of weight vs. space. What is going to be tricky this year, is I plan on bringing a scale and blood pressure cuff that I got for free from my health insurance company. It ties into their app which also ties into my FitBit and other Health App. Hopefully it will give me the push to do what I need. We did purchase two new suitcases which are 2 or 3 lbs lighter than our old suitcases. We weight them here.

Our packing area is the ping pong table in the basement and Andrea, it looks a lot worse than your dining room table.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always pack an electrical outlet strip with USB slots. There aren't enough electrical outlets in my resort's rooms. One strip and all my charging/power needs can be in one area.
    1 2

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually pack the night before. I just set aside the clothes/shoes I will pack and it’s already too much. So, now I know. Starting in advance still doesn’t help. Lol

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I am an organization nut and a chronic list maker. I suspect it is my way of feeling like I’m actually in control of some aspect of my life! LOL!

As soon as I have a trip planned, domestic or international, I start an 8”x6” spiral notebook for that trip. There are pages for flights, accommodations, suitcase/clothing/shoes, toiletries (that go in an LLBean organizer that I can hang up on a bathroom hook or towel rack upon arrival; this actually stays pretty much packed and replenished all year since I take it on all trips, weekends or longer), backpack (which I use for a carry-on because, well, it’s compartmentalized and I can organize it! I’m really anal about all this). I like mesh packing cubes and have them in several sizes so I can “sub-organize” (i.e. one for underclothes and nightwear; one for bathing suits/cover-ups; another for t-shirts & shorts, etc.). Upon arrival, I open the cubes and just lay them in the dresser drawer (if not being hung up). Then there are more pages for transportation, activities, restaurant notes (ones I want to revisit and ones I would like to try), budget, pre-travel checklist, and daily-log pages. There are other pages for more things. Yes, it’s color-coded and indexed (I can hear you all laughing!). I make it an activity in itself, adding things as time goes by. Everything is in one notebook that I can easily reference and/or pull out since it fits in the front pocket of my backpack. If it’s a repeat visit, like Aruba, I start a new one and copy from the previous one with “tweaks” to what to do, take, pack, the next trip. Alas, the 2020 trip book didn’t get used, but it’s already been revised for August 2021!

Tracey, I have the same charger case from amazon that you do! Highly recommend it to all. I use it not only to keep my chargers organized for cell, Kindles and tablet, but also good for medications, pens, pencils, colored pens, etc. that I like to take with me. It fits perfectly in the large section of my backpack.

I’m a solo traveler so some of this works better for that scenario than for a couple. I travel with one good-sized suitcase that is never full (for potential purchases during vacation) and my backpack as my carry-on. I like the backpack so both hands and arms are free. I started this a few years ago because of a pinched nerve situation in my neck and have found it makes going through check-in and the airport so much easier. It keeps the weight off my shoulders in a way that isn’t painful. And it fits under the plane seat so I don’t have to bother with the overhead. I take one small cross-body purse but it goes in the suitcase. Anything I need for the trip to/from (i.e. ids, passport, money, etc.) goes in the front zippered pocket of my backpack and then either goes in the room safe or into the smaller purse for going out. I put a change of underwear, a bathing suit, and a small makeup bag of toiletries in the large section of my backpack as well in case my suitcase doesn’t make the trip with me! And a lightweight sweater because I’m always cold on the plane!

Okay, I’ll confess, I’m usually packed a few days before a trip. I don’t like last-minute surprises. And…can’t believe I’m admitting this publicly…I’ve been known to do “test packs”. Hey, judge all you want, people, but I’ve never forgotten anything on a trip! LOL!!!! Oh my, sorry for the super-long post!
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    We were just thinking we didn't really need our small usb/power strip but since we stay at the same resort as rumpire, we will be adding that back in...thanks!

Bri - I have tried it every way - early, last minute, pack and unpack and repack - its always an adventure just to get out of the house.

Lisa - WOW! That actually sounds amazing! I have a portfolio binder that I use for work that I am considering bringing with all of our documentation. It will depend on how full Jon's bookbag is. He is a big supporter of the bookbag as a carry on. We used to use our bookbag cooler as a carryon, but now it gets packed because it is padded and can protect some things that go in our larger luggage. I will have a wheeled carryon and a beach bag type personal item. My small crossbody purse will be inside there.

More trip prep - we freshened up the playlists on our devices. We are "those people" We bring a small speaker to the beach. We usually wait until later in the afternoon to turn it on and always let the people around us know that we will gladly turn it off if it bothers them. I made a playlist of pretty neutral songs taht are also mostly radio friendly. We will also listen to it on the balcony and we've been known to have a dance party for 2 in our room where no one can record and laugh at our terrible dance moves.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    The one thing I always pack is one of those windshield sun shade things. It really helps keep the temperature down in the rental.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    And unfortunately. Don’t leave home without.
    Let's talk trip prep-95e88a44-3b75-4f0d-abef-329f954edaba-jpg

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have my green check mark. Guess it's time to start my trip report! (too early?)

0 4

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    not too early!!
    Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post
    I have my green check mark. Guess it's time to start my trip report! (too early?)

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 1