This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is my love affair with Aruba coming to an end?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Arawak for your words of wisdom. I am not offended at all after reading both of your posts.
    The people on this forum spend lots of money on their favorite island and I'm sure they have been and will continue to be
    very welcome while being a great benefit to the financial well being of Aruba.
    Arawak...

• The strategy isn't "Aruba aims to only accept tourists that earn 150k and above" starting tomorrow". It's a long term strategy to stop the continually increasing tourism numbers, but still maintaining the income and quality of life Arubans are used to. No tourists are getting denied, priced out or underappreciated. The government is just looking out for the future both for current visitors and locals. Because if this isn't done, the damages won't be fixable; we are already at the edge of what is feasible.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Arawak was offensive at all just expressing a view from a local we all appreciate for sure. Its the putting a price tag on the visitors....it may make some feel like a number and not a guest.
    Trip 38 booked for Feb! Cant wait.

0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Arawak, I completely understand what you are saying and I can’t say that I totally disagree. I can only say how using a dollar amount to describe the type of tourist Aruba would like to attract, feels offensive to me. Better to say that the government would like to see more resorts with luxury amenities like the Ritz. It serves the same purpose without putting a dollar sign on a tourists head.
    Agree 100%! A definite turn-off!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like those making less than that dollar amount are no longer valued by the Aruba government - a bit insulting to some! May be time to try other destinations.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Its all in the wording. Same message could have been delivered without alienating or annoying a loyal travel group to Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    Seems like those making less than that dollar amount are no longer valued by the Aruba government - a bit insulting to some! May be time to try other destinations.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the Federal Reserve’s 2019 Survey of Consumer Finances, the median net worth figure was $121,760 per family. If that is the case I don't see the average family income anywhere close to 150k. So they are without question looking to phase out the "average" wage earner for those that make much more.

Updated: The average household in the US brought in just shy of 88k this year based on the reports.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Just told my wife the stuff we are chatting about and her response was "If that's the customer base they are looking for they may sink into the water and drown"

A bit harsh but true IMHO. I love Aruba and want her to succeed. I know a handful of people that have gone to Aruba thru the years- My mom- God rest her soul, my best friend, and several other close friends I wont mention as they read this forum....and NONE make anyplace close to 150k yearly yet they go and support the island 2 plus times yearly. I think its one of those things you need to be careful about wishing for.....make it too expensive for the average family and I see it going sideways as my wife said. This coming from one of Aruba's biggest fans!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of this marketing strategy over the last few years. The statement could have been worded differently.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    also too of the wording......could the announcement have been made in Papiamento or Dutch and then translated?

lots of times, the translations leave out some real important words.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    also too of the wording......could the announcement have been made in Papiamento or Dutch and then translated?

lots of times, the translations leave out some real important words.
    Very good point Andrea and something to be considered. It really is all about how it was worded.

0 1