This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: not gaining weight during an Aruba trip

Post Thanks / Like
    We've never gained any weight while on the island and usually return about five pounds lighter, as we maintain the same lifestyle while we're there and even eat a little less.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

I eat healthier in Aruba than at home because we don't have the junk food in the condo that we have in the house here for my son. I also walk more in Aruba and don't stress it as much, but I don't have as much stress there as I do at home. Portions in restaurants in Aruba are smaller, so that helps in two ways 1. I don't eat as much 2. I don't bring leftovers home. I've also learned that most mixed drinks are significantly higher in calories than a glass of wine or spirits straight or on the rocks-the lowest generally in calories. Mixers and juices add a ton of calories to drinks.

I started a program paid for by my insurance company. I've yet to really do what I need to do, but the jest of it is: 1. eat only when you are hungry 2. eat slowly and savor each bite 3. eat for 10 minutes, rest for 5 and eat for 10 more if you are still hungry 4. stop when you are comfortably full 5. you don't have to clean your plate. 6. stay hydrated with water or a blend of water and oj(I don't remember the ratio) I am hoping to put this into effect next week-this week is just too is crazy.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I have lost 18 pounds since January 1. At home I skip lunch and have a light snack with coffee in the afternoon. I do little exercise there. Here in Aruba I walk about 8 miles per day and do eat lunch. I do have dessert with a light dinner, but that's it.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT job! Very happy for you guys. My suggestions would be to drink at least a glass of water per "drink" and always prior to eating a dinner. Always walk if possible, and never eat dessert- sorry I know that one hurts.
    Trip 32 begins on June 5.

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks

how was your time in NY during school break?
    maybe a recap in off topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    GREAT job! Very happy for you guys. My suggestions would be to drink at least a glass of water per "drink" and always prior to eating a dinner. Always walk if possible, and never eat dessert- sorry I know that one hurts.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    CONGRATS to all of you who have lost weight! It is such a battle. I lost almost 5 lbs while we were in Aruba this year, but not any since. I really tried to walk more and eat less. Andrea, I have confidence that you will stick to the program while you are gone. Keep up the good work!!
    1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    it will be a challenge!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
    CONGRATS to all of you who have lost weight! It is such a battle. I lost almost 5 lbs while we were in Aruba this year, but not any since. I really tried to walk more and eat less. Andrea, I have confidence that you will stick to the program while you are gone. Keep up the good work!!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Andrea, Paul and everyone else who lost weight. Interesting that you brought this subject up because I was also thinking about how I would manage my eating on the next trip. I also joined Weight Watchers this year 1/30/21 and so far in 12 weeks lost 12 1/2 pounds and I think I will have a weight loss this week as well. I lost 8 pounds last year so from April 2020 to the present I have lost 20 pounds in 1 year which I would not like to gain back given my issues with hip pain.

During my 13 weeks on weight watchers I had 2 or 3 slip ups where I went off course. However, I tracked the points, reviewed the next day how much I went over and it was a lot of points but I got back on course.

I read a WW tip once on dealing with vacation. The advise was to decide if you still wanted to lose weight on vacation, maintain weight or control the weight gain. Since vacation is about relaxing and I've committed to this program, I want to just control the gain. How do you do that? Well we each have to figure it out but as some have mentioned perhaps doing more exercise, maybe limiting your alcohol drinks wine instead of beer or mixed drinks or mix it up, limit desserts but do enjoy on occasion. I'm also going to try and continue tracking no matter what. It would be interesting to know how much I go over knowing that I have a certain amount of points. Don't get jealous Andrea but I started at 60 daily points but now only get 58 points after losing. LOL By the way I am on the Green Plan so I have to track everything which is tedious but I have really learned a lot by tracking and the food values.

Just try your best Andrea and i know you and Paul sometimes eat in your room so on those days you will have 100% control. Good Luck!
    Last edited by ArubaAce; 04-28-2021 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea and Paul, congrats on your weight loss. Trip to Aruba shouldn’t have to sabotage your diet and progress.
    my recommendation is to share meals in restaurants. My wife and I have been doing this for years and it works very well. We al know that most restaurants serve large portions. When we share most (even in Aruba) will split the entree and serve it on 2 plates for us. On our recent trip I remember at Casa Nonna at the Ritz we shared the chicken Parmigiana. We each got 1 large chicken breast which was more than enough to eat.
    This also solves the issue of leftovers and do you or don’t you take any in doggie bags / boxes to go. When we do that in Aruba in the past we usually end up not eating them anyway!
    Good luck (and take it easy on that high point alcohol ).
    Brian

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes that is a terrific idea. sharing!

typically we share at Madame Janettes but we usually each get an entree and then we take half of each other's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    Andrea and Paul, congrats on your weight loss. Trip to Aruba shouldn’t have to sabotage your diet and progress.
    my recommendation is to share meals in restaurants. My wife and I have been doing this for years and it works very well. We al know that most restaurants serve large portions. When we share most (even in Aruba) will split the entree and serve it on 2 plates for us. On our recent trip I remember at Casa Nonna at the Ritz we shared the chicken Parmigiana. We each got 1 large chicken breast which was more than enough to eat.
    This also solves the issue of leftovers and do you or don’t you take any in doggie bags / boxes to go. When we do that in Aruba in the past we usually end up not eating them anyway!
    Good luck (and take it easy on that high point alcohol ������ ).

0 1