This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Palapas?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the fixed palapas on the public beaches are available to be used by all.
    if there are no chairs under them, a person no matter where they are staying, can bring their own chairs and make them selves comfortable.

caveat.......where the beaches are a bit narrower, such as the hi rise area............the row of palapas next to the walkway parallel with the resort may actually be still resort property and not public. avoid that area.

again, the beaches are public.
    the fixed palapas on the public beaches are by law ALLOWED to be used by all, not just hotel guests.
    how the hotels disburse and assign the palapas is their business.
    if you arrive and the palapa is unoccupied (and there are no lounges/chairs under it) it is up for grabs.

the beaches are public.

Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    You need to be a guest at the hotel. Hotels have their own rules.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand. My only experience is at the Marriott. If a hotel guest reserves a palapa for free through online service or chooses to pay $40 in advance they can arrive at any time and that is their palapa. If there is someone occupying that palapa they have to move. I’ve seen it happen over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the fixed palapas on the public beaches are available to be used by all.
    if there are no chairs under them, a person no matter where they are staying, can bring their own chairs and make them selves comfortable.

caveat.......where the beaches are a bit narrower, such as the hi rise area............the row of palapas next to the walkway parallel with the resort may actually be still resort property and not public. avoid that area.

again, the beaches are public.
    the fixed palapas on the public beaches are by law ALLOWED to be used by all, not just hotel guests.
    how the hotels disburse and assign the palapas is their business.
    if you arrive and the palapa is unoccupied (and there are no lounges/chairs under it) it is up for grabs.

the beaches are public.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    these arguments are exactly why i am confused and asked the question.

i added a google maps screenshot.

i think this is great example.

these are the palapas next to divi.

i believe this is a public beach and public palapas.

but i remember the last time they wanted to charge me.

but now i believe i can move the beachbed and just move underneath them right? does anybody know?
    Palapas?-knipsel-jpg
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen people hold their ground.

They should not be calling it a fee for the palapas...it is in actuality a fee for chairs/lounges.

We watched a family this past June....on Eagle Beach and they were in front of the Amsterdam Manor.
    It was early...about 7 am.
    The man and woman and 2 kids set up 2 lounges and a portable crib and a small chair under a palapa.
    They were not guests of the AM, but they arrived b4 the AM brought their lounges to this particular palapa.
    The AM beach attendant spoke to them for a bit then he walked away.

I believe what you see at the Marriott.
    I believe that the Marriott areas (Surf, Hotel and Ocean) are pretty much just full of their guests. Such as most of Palm Beach.
    does not have the openness and the access that the areas such as Eage, Arashi, Surfside have.
    Palm Beach does not have the open expanse as the others that I mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    I understand. My only experience is at the Marriott. If a hotel guest reserves a palapa for free through online service or chooses to pay $40 in advance they can arrive at any time and that is their palapa. If there is someone occupying that palapa they have to move. I’ve seen it happen over and over again.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the wise thing to do is not remove the lounge or the chair.
    once those chairs/lounges are dragged over to the palapa by the beach attendant, they are "taken" for all intents and purposes.

we have used those palapas a t Druif Beach (circled on your map). we brought our own sand chairs.
    those indeed are NOT on Divi Property

Quote Originally Posted by aruba_dude View Post

but now i believe i can move the beachbed and just move underneath them right? does anybody know?
    Palapas?-knipsel-jpg
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andrea J. f

I believe you have the most logical explanation there it seems logical that anyone can use them.

And just like me i am not talking about the palmbeach and the highrise ares. There you wouldnt find a palapa anyway.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes exactly Andrea. You are right. I’ve seen hotel guests fight over not having a palapa when they show up. Towel Hut guys explain the reservation system and they do call it a fee for the palapa. This is what the Marriott does. Chairs are always free for guests. There are not enough palapas at the Palm Beach hotels. I agree with you it could be different on Eagle Beach etc. and rules more relaxed.

I have seen people hold their ground.

They should not be calling it a fee for the palapas...it is in actuality a fee for chairs/lounges.

We watched a family this past June....on Eagle Beach and they were in front of the Amsterdam Manor.
    It was early...about 7 am.
    The man and woman and 2 kids set up 2 lounges and a portable crib and a small chair under a palapa.
    They were not guests of the AM, but they arrived b4 the AM brought their lounges to this particular palapa.
    The AM beach attendant spoke to them for a bit then he walked away.

I believe what you see at the Marriott.
    I believe that the Marriott areas (Surf, Hotel and Ocean) are pretty much just full of their guests. Such as most of Palm Beach.
    does not have the openness and the access that the areas such as Eage, Arashi, Surfside have.
    Palm Beach does not have the open expanse as the others that I mentioned.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I stay at Divi Village many weeks each year and Druif beach( the one you have circled) is where I spend my beach time. The palapas are definitely not not Divi property. I can also tell you that the beach attendants from Divi will NEVER ask you to pay for the use of the palapas. It is the people who run the watersports hut on the beach that try to charge tourists for the use of them. I have seen them try to do this many times and there have been near fights. They wear shirts that say beach attendants on them when in fact they are not. The police have been called in many times because issues with the watersports people. This watersports hut has no affiliation with Divi at all. It is a private business. ATA know. about their dealing with tourists.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aruba_dude View Post

Palapas?-knipsel-jpg
    Thanks for including the map. You can use any unoccupied palapa on this beach. If anyone hassles you, just tell them that you got there first and that you have the right to use palapas on public property. Just be assertive and then relax and enjoy your day!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Aruba.com community forum.

All of the beaches are public with the exception of DePalm Island and Renaissance Island.

MOST, not all of the fixed palapas are public. Some of the palapas are actually placed within the resort property line.
    But, for the sake of conversation let's say they are all public.

Technically one can bring their own chairs and be at the palapa on the beach and the resort/condo/hotel/timeshare cannot do a thing about it.
    (We were in front of Oceania at a palapa in June..we got there at 8am and spent the better part of 5 hrs.....we brought our own chairs...and we received the stink eye from a young couple there who felt we were carpetbaggers.
    They also did not like we were feeding/watering 2 stray dogs. )

I do not know if the palapas are government property.
    The resorts are the ones that maintain them for their guests.

There are palapas on Eagle and Palm. There are few at Arashi and at Boca Catalina Beaches.
    You can also find them at baby Beach and malmok. They are all over the island along the beaches. Just pay attention to the resorts, mostly they are for registered quests there
    0 0