This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palapas (fixed shade huts) on the public beaches

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahahahah you took one of the tennis balls!
    you are going to hell, you know that right

when we are in the water, we try to position ourselves in front of the palapa that we have scored.
    we always have the pacsafe attached to the main post!

I am still laughing.......the walker lady beat you to the spot.

we have 4 water exercise classes here in my 55+ community.
    I teach 2 of those classes and Mary teaches the other.......Mary is 88, walks with a cane, but in the water she is a gazelle.

never tangle or compete with an elderly person on a mission

Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Just speaking about Aruba Beach Club-ABC. Don't see a problem because those time share owners there are very early risers. My God, a 80 year old woman with a walker raced me to the front row last year at 5:30 am and beat me! No cruise ship or tour bus is going to beat those early birds in the AM. I did get even with her and took one of her tennis balls from her walker. LOL! That being said, as the day goes on and people leave their papala, I can see beach walkers grabbing an open one. It might be a good idea to make friends with your papala neighbor to keep an eye on your spot if you go for a swim or take a walk. I don't know if a towel on a lounge would stop some peoples from borrowing your spot. Those vacation vaults and Pac-safes should do the trick. We are happy we are early risers. Aruba is so beautiful at sunrise. So peaceful and tranquil. Nothing like a cup of Joe watching nature come alive.
    Sean and Susan
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-09-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: pacsafe not package

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a slightly different perspective from the Surf Club. The Surf Club charges a nominal fee for palapas $15/$10 per day for half the palapas and they are reserved ahead of time but only for two days. Then you need to wait a day and then you can book two more. The other half of the palapas are free. From that allotment they are again split into two, you can get your free palapa in the morning at 7am (of course line ups are earlier and how early depends on the time of year) or in the afternoon at 4pm for the following day (same concept for the line ups).
    IMO, this works far better than "first come/first serve" as then you really have people getting up at 3/4 am to get a palapa for their family. We met someone who sleeps regularly on the beach at 3am to get a hut at the Playa Linda. I find that, while the situation at the SC isn't the best, its really as good as it gets. In addition, what I am told is the monies collected for the palapas goes toward the maintenance of the beach and the palapas. The beach is public but the Marriott properties are usually the first on the strip to clean up when the sea weed collects at the edge, they repair broken palapas, rake the public part of the beach and collect the garbage left behind by people.
    I am actually pleased with the status quo, to be honest. Also, just as an update, the April 1st deadline has been pushed back to July 1st. The Holiday Inn decided to move their palapas now rather than wait to see what further transpires. This situation is evolving and no one knows what the exact outcome will be. This was explained to me by someone in the hospitality industry. My suggestion is for people not to fret about this now and let's see what develops.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hahahahah you took one of the tennis balls!
    you are going to hell, you know that right

when we are in the water, we try to position ourselves in front of the palapa that we have scored.
    we always have the pacsafe attached to the main post!

I am still laughing.......the walker lady beat you to the spot.

we have 4 water exercise classes here in my 55+ community.
    I teach 2 of those classes and Mary teaches the other.......Mary is 88, walks with a cane, but in the water she is a gazelle.

never tangle or compete with an elderly person on a mission
    You are so right. Go Mary!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We stay at Playa Linda and hubby gets up early anyway about 6:00. He always gets a palapa but we never want front row and there is never a problem. If we go later we can still always find a spot and it is first come first serve. I am not going to worry about this. I just want to enjoy my time in this beautiful paradise.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    First time poster long time reader here! Was just at the HI the first week of April. The palapas are indeed all moved back behind the public beach markers, which has made them incredibly tight. They were still using the lottery system and the IHG members were still able to reserve. The scuttle but I heard was that going forward the IHG members were still going to be able to reserve them and the rumor was that others were going to have to pay to reserve. All rumors though and nothing different was happening for the first week of April for reserving.

While its made the palapas incredibly tight, it has given a tremendous amount of beach space back. It's also exposed a lot of the palm trees that were throughout the previous palapa area that can be used for shade. We have never really done the whole palapa thing so it was actually was nice for us to have more beach space. I usually go out for a run at 6:30 so I'd just move a few chairs under one of the many palm trees (now exposed) and we'd be good for the day. Just moved the chairs forward or backward, following the shade as needed!
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the first come, first serve system. IMHO, the hotel/resort should never charge for something that ought to be free.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BeninMA View Post
    First time poster long time reader here! Was just at the HI the first week of April. The palapas are indeed all moved back behind the public beach markers, which has made them incredibly tight. They were still using the lottery system and the IHG members were still able to reserve. The scuttle but I heard was that going forward the IHG members were still going to be able to reserve them and the rumor was that others were going to have to pay to reserve. All rumors though and nothing different was happening for the first week of April for reserving.

While its made the palapas incredibly tight, it has given a tremendous amount of beach space back. It's also exposed a lot of the palm trees that were throughout the previous palapa area that can be used for shade. We have never really done the whole palapa thing so it was actually was nice for us to have more beach space. I usually go out for a run at 6:30 so I'd just move a few chairs under one of the many palm trees (now exposed) and we'd be good for the day. Just moved the chairs forward or backward, following the shade as needed!

Thanks for the update on the Holiday Inn and welcome to the posting side!

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello beninma....I used to be andreainma, (waltham) now in Fl.
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

thank you for the beach/shade report of the HI in Aruba.
    when folks sit under the trees they have to be aware of falling coconuts.
    could be deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by BeninMA View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think first come/first serve works in theory if people only took a palapa within a reasonable time of when they want to use it. Not everyone is an early riser, so a person getting to the beach at 10 shouldn’t see a bunch of “towel tagged” empty palapas for people who aren’t at the beach. If hotels enforced this, things would be better. That said, I think the hotels are trying to appease their guests. It’s like there is no happy ending to the palapa situation because there will always be something to complain about. The umbrella solution seems to work best, but then there’d never be enough for everyone.

0 3

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    also re: umbrellas.
    I have been in aruba during very windy days and poolside at numerous resort, umbrellas were not allowed to be open due to the wind gusts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I think first come/first serve works in theory if people only took a palapa within a reasonable time of when they want to use it. Not everyone is an early riser, so a person getting to the beach at 10 shouldn’t see a bunch of “towel tagged” empty palapas for people who aren’t at the beach. If hotels enforced this, things would be better. That said, I think the hotels are trying to appease their guests. It’s like there is no happy ending to the palapa situation because there will always be something to complain about. The umbrella solution seems to work best, but then there’d never be enough for everyone.