This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Om gosh.. you just brought back some fun memories..
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    A very popular video game from the 80s

That's very tragic. Even in a car, there is something inherently dangerous in the design of that intersection with the two sets of lights that for some reason can be difficult to figure out. I don't like driving or crossing there, and don't like the whole congested traffic flow of Superfood's parking lot. It is absolutely enough to make us skip it and take the rental car to Ling's instead.

Aruba since 1979
    well said rhys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    That's very tragic. Even in a car, there is something inherently dangerous in the design of that intersection with the two sets of lights that for some reason can be difficult to figure out. I don't like driving or crossing there, and don't like the whole congested traffic flow of Superfood's parking lot. It is absolutely enough to make us skip it and take the rental car to Ling's instead.

There is supposed to a huge bulletin boardsituated not too far from CPV out in Noord which listed the number of roadfatalities for the past few years, my aunt told me that apparently Aruba hasmore road fatalities than murders within a given year. During my second visit Iwas in a store when an ambulance passed by with sirens blaring, the shopkeepershook her head sadly and let out a sigh before saying, "That's the fourthtime today I heard an ambulance going by." She and all admitted that Arubahas more vehicular accidents and road fatalities for such a small island. I'veseen some really reckless driving during my visits to Aruba, which got mewondering if there are drivers on Aruba who purchased their driver's license??This seems to be an unfortunate practice in the Caribbean. Drivers need to ease off on the gas and stay within the speed limit. As for pedestrians, they need to pay attention and be more aware of their surroundings especially when crossing a busy street or road, so put away the smartphone, take out the earbuds and be aware of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    There is supposed to a huge bulletin boardsituated not too far from CPV out in Noord which listed the number of roadfatalities for the past few years, my aunt told me that apparently Aruba hasmore road fatalities than murders within a given year. During my second visit Iwas in a store when an ambulance passed by with sirens blaring, the shopkeepershook her head sadly and let out a sigh before saying, "That's the fourthtime today I heard an ambulance going by." She and all admitted that Arubahas more vehicular accidents and road fatalities for such a small island. I'veseen some really reckless driving during my visits to Aruba, which got mewondering if there are drivers on Aruba who purchased their driver's license??This seems to be an unfortunate practice in the Caribbean. Drivers need to ease off on the gas and stay within the speed limit. As for pedestrians, they need to pay attention and be more aware of their surroundings especially when crossing a busy street or road, so put away the smartphone, take out the earbuds and be aware of what is going on.
    I thought it was really telling that, on our last trip, there was a power outage and the traffic lights went out at the "Road Fatalities" sign in front of the police station across from PBV; we arrived at the intersection ready to do a four-way stop and it was complete and utter bedlam... people zooming through the intersection, driving up on the dirt shoulder to go around people properly stopped, people paralyzed in the middle of the intersection etc. And ALL the license plates were "A"... the only people doing the four-way, proper stop were "V" plates.

That was the night I decided that we wouldn't drive in the dark anymore. There are A LOT of terrible drivers on the island.

Don't get me started on improper turning. <<cringe>>

Frogger was a blast. I was actually thinking about buying the "old school" games I grew up playing back 40 odd years ago as a child for my son. I think I would actually enjoy it still, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Be very careful Andrea - Frogger was SO addicting! One of my kids was playing an updated version on a handheld game thing - can't remember which kid or which device, but I lost a few hours of my life with those little frog lives in my hands!

I just looked up the date, 1981 is when it came out and I was 12 years old and loving video games.

As others have stated, Take a cab..

Too many variables crossing that intersection.

Aruba's traffic signals and signage do not conform with the US Manual of Traffic Control Devices(MUTCD) which can make driving a bit tricky and quite hazardous for US drivers. Their system of essentially 6 light intersections make for a potential "T-Bone" type of accident on the main roadway. I try to stick to the beach level roads, lower speed.