This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Phones-Data-WIFi-SimCard- VOIP- Enough to make your head explode

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Phones-Data-WIFi-SimCard- VOIP- Enough to make your head explode

Is your head ready to explode?

Do you want to ask a question about cell phones in Aruba? :

• SIM Cards (and maybe you do not even know what a SIM card is...that is OK)
    • Wifi Does my resort have wifi? Is it free?
    • Should I use my international cell plan?
    • What is Data?
    • What is SETAR?

Many of us have reasons to be online while on vacation.
    Those reasons are many and actually are our own business and no one should be told to disconnect.

Ask away. We will try to answer and make it as easily understood as possible.

Here is what my husband and I do. (we do NOT disconnect)
    We go to Aruba for 2 weeks , 2x a year.
    I purchased a SIM card at SETAR kiosk at the airport for my iPhone.
    When arriving, I stop at the Setar desk and they activate the card, they install it, they add in 4g of data which is way more than enough for our needs. (I think it is around $30)

We stay at a resort with free WIFI.
    We use that free wifi. (husband uses his iPad or his MacBook..I use iPhone, iPad and sometimes MacBook)
    If we are out of free wifi range, we use my iPhone data for internet access or FaceTime.

If you have questions abut wifi, phones, voip, SIM cards, data....please ask.
    Many folks here are way more intelligent and savvy than me regarding this topic and will be able to answer appropriately.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We have T-mobile, great access for texting and data and $0.25 per minute for voice calls and unlimited in-flight wifi. But we use WhatsApp for calls and some texting. Same phone, no sim cards or wifi required, easy peasy. All for about a hundred bucks a month.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-...discount-plans

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest way to sort through the technology, is to map what you're needs are. We use a local SIM card for emergencies and an occasional call. We use the internet and WhatsApp or Facetime to keep contact in the states. We also use the internet for a secure VPN, when working from the island, or to view our surveillance cameras at our home, while we're away. We also use the VPN to access streaming media content, both music and video, to access sources locally, that would be normally blocked from this location. The internet in the condo had been very reliable and a fast connection, so everything works very well. Once everything is configured, it's easy peasy.
    Last edited by schexc; 02-21-2020 at 07:37 AM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a refurbished iphone6 that we bought a few years ago. We have an Aruban sim card in it. Each year we have to reactivate it, add a few $$$ for the calling plan and purchase data. We spend 50 florins a month for 4g. It must be reloaded every 30 days. I used to go to Setar every month, but now I know how to do it myself. This year I bought all the reload cards at one time. I reload and apply the data monthly. Setar also has 1 week, and 2 week options for data. If I get low on phone, I pick up a reload card at SuperFoods. We use our US phones on wifi and airplane mode for data and calling/receiving calls to and from the US and Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    We kept older phones that still worked reasonably well. I wipe them pretty clean as far as apps and personal information. We take those to the beach or pool or when I think I might want a camera- we don't really worry about them getting lost, stolen, wet, sandy, or whatever because they are older. I load music on to them and sometimes an e-book. We connect to resort wifi - even if we have to pay for it. We travel during football season and have to keep up with our fantasy teams and post pictures to make our friends wish they were with us.

We bring our current, connected phones on Verizon and have the Travel Pass where you pay $10 per device for a 24 hour period where you can use your regular data/calling/texting plan from home. Those typically stay in the safe and in airplane mode. In the last few trips I have only used the travel pass plan a few times and have been happy with the service on Verizon.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put my phone in airplane mode and use WiFi. Texting or email works for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I do as well. But this trip, since I no longer have the oldest cell phone on the planet, I'll download the whatsapp just in case office needs to reach me.

0 0

Druif Beach, Divi Divi AI, Red Sail Sports, Black Pearl
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I let people (work - family ) know I'll be away and let them know we won't talk but email or Facebook IM. I use the WiFi on Stellaris property (our place) and rely on cabs to drive me around. Factually, the greatest thing you can do on vacation, it too keep it uncomplicated. Simplify and experience that you can get by. It's a great experience.
    0 0