This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing the points and miles game

Post Thanks / Like

Playing the points and miles game

For those of you that play the points game, here is a nice read about redeeming points and statement credits at the Marriott Stellaris and snagging a deal on JetBlue mint from The Points Guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...ate=2020-01-20

0 4

Druif Beach, Divi Divi AI, Red Sail Sports, Black Pearl
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our Aruba points game... is all based on the Marriott Rewards Visa card.

We use it for everything (everything) - and pay it off. Bottom line we acquire more points than the Marriott time share commitment point system, just for using it for every purpose - and paying it off. We have enough points for two week complimentary stay in Stallaris but use one, and always have the extra points for other Marriott stays. We have yet to pay full hotel in Aruba with cash, only points, simply using Marriott Rewards card - aaand paying it off In fact teenage son said, "Dad it's cool that we are earning triple vacation points by using Marriott Rewards visa at Stellaris (Marriott property earn triple points on spending) just paying the food and drinks tab". I said it's smart to have your credit card work for you and not the other way around...but.. pay it off! It's the EASIEST vacation club. The "Got Points" timeshare sharks on the Stellaris' beach sit and try to sell lifetime commitment to buying points. I tell them I have over 500k just using/paying off Rewards card,why would I buy? They kinda try to explain the benefits of a free lunch for listening to the sales pitch, but I simply say... Thanks, but I rather sit under this palapa with drinks, especially when I DON'T NEED any more points. If I decided I wanted to move on, I cancel the card ($95 year). I don't have to find a "buyer". All our bills autopay on card... it's just an EASY way to earn and use points for our annual Aruba and elsewhere. I literally have easiest point system there is!! Remember - pay off balance due. Credit ain't free if you make partial payments. It' so easy to redeem. Working smart, not hard for points since 2003.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny to see this posted today as I'm calculating how many points I need to complete our trip and where our best value is. When playing the credit card points game it's important to pick one and stick with it. Right now, Jon has an excellent special 5x rewards on his American Airlines card, so I see first class on points in our future. To do that we will have to stop using our Marriott card, which I had been using since our stay at the surf club to pile on the points. Last year we got the Hilton card when they were having a special and we are using those points for a 4th of July getaway. I will be cancelling that card, I don't feel we get the value from it. You have to be organized and have a plan when using multiple cards. So this year, just by spending our money on every day items we will have a 5 night stay at a Hilton over a holiday weekend, at least 1 way first class tickets to Aruba, and my family reunion weekend in NY paid for with Marriott points and a certificate for 2 nights.

My advice: Stay organized and have a plan, pay balances in full on time, cancel cards with an annual fee after you have used the sign up bonus.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    We’ve been happy with the Jetblue card. Jetblue purchases offer 6X the points; groceries are 2X. We usually manage a flight or two on points each year. My only concern about canceling a card after using the bonus points is it would show as a negative on your credit rating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    My only concern about canceling a card after using the bonus points is it would show as a negative on your credit rating.
    We haven't really noticed a big hit there, very minor changes in our scores over the last few years. I think that is mainly because I alternate between my name and Jon's name when it is a card I want to use for the sign up bonus - which has really only been 2 cards. For example, I did the southwest card in my name and kept it for 2 years when I felt we were getting value out of it, then cancelled. The Hilton card is in my husband's name, we will only be keeping it for a year. Marriott and Holiday Inn both have annual fees, but also come with a free award night so we feel we get value from the annual fees for those - from both the free nights and the upgrades we have received, so I don't mind paying the annual fees because we use the free nights every year.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We haven't really noticed a big hit there, very minor changes in our scores over the last few years. I think that is mainly because I alternate between my name and Jon's name when it is a card I want to use for the sign up bonus - which has really only been 2 cards. For example, I did the southwest card in my name and kept it for 2 years when I felt we were getting value out of it, then cancelled. The Hilton card is in my husband's name, we will only be keeping it for a year. Marriott and Holiday Inn both have annual fees, but also come with a free award night so we feel we get value from the annual fees for those - from both the free nights and the upgrades we have received, so I don't mind paying the annual fees because we use the free nights every year.
    That makes sense. At our age I probably wouldn’t care if it impacted my rating as we’re pretty much done with any major purchases

Post Thanks / Like
    We use American Airlines, Holiday Inn and Hilton cards and pay them off every month. We put different spend on each and that changes monthly. We use our free nights from Holiday Inn and Hilton and that more than offsets the annual fee. American miles are hoarded for first class flights to Aruba every year, although the price for our tickets this year on Delta was less than the point equivalent on American. One thing you need to watch is what the points are "worth". American miles are usually valued at around .5 to .6 cents a mile. So if a ticket is 100,000 miles, the "cost" equivalent is about 500-600 dollars. Most times it is cheaper to use miles, but there are times when it's not, and it takes a lot of spend to accumulate miles. Also remember that hotel points and airline miles can be exchanged between partners, but the rate isn't great.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    We’ve been happy with the Jetblue card. Jetblue purchases offer 6X the points; groceries are 2X. We usually manage a flight or two on points each year. My only concern about canceling a card after using the bonus points is it would show as a negative on your credit rating.
    https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...-card-6000.php

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Informative article. Thanks for posting the link

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we have our SWA Visa card and actually there is a fee.
    i called them 6 yrs ago and told them we wanted to cancel due to the fee.
    they told me they would waive the fee for a year.
    we have yet to have the fee reinstated.
    typically we get a couple of round trips using the points on SWA a year.
    they make 0 money from us.
    we pay our bills in full and pay no interest.

our discover card, no annual fee and cash back
    my health insurance premium goes onto it monthly......

same deal as the other card, pay in full monthly and pay no interest.

folks need to be very careful using the cards as the balances can get away from you.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0