This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarters for a winkel wagon?

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quarters for a winkel wagon?

Good afternoon everyone,

I thought I read somewhere here on the forum that Superfoods, like grocery stores elsewhere, charges a quarter for shopping carts. Two questions on this:

First, is this true?

Second, if yes, do they take Aruban and US coins? Not an unreasonable question for Canadian vacationers like us.

Six months till we are there. Cannot wait!

Glenn
    Winnipeg, Canada
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes they charge .......if you want your quarter back you return the cart to its proper place.
    I will let you know if they take US quarters.
    Have been told yes, but that has not been confirmed.
    We will be there in a few weeks, and I will let you know.

our local ALDI store charges for the shopping carts.

Post Thanks / Like
    When we went a few weeks ago, we had to get some change to get the cart and we were given Aruban money for that. I don't know that we couldn't use a US quarter, but we used the Aruban money because that is what we were given.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Yes..its a American Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes they charge .......if you want your quarter back you return the cart to its proper place.
    I will let you know if they take US quarters.
    Have been told yes, but that has not been confirmed.
    We will be there in a few weeks, and I will let you know.

our local ALDI store charges for the shopping carts.

its better then a dollar here in Toronto
    0 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your replies on this.

Charging for shopping carts is a common practice to help prevent the cats from disappearing. I wonder if a lot of the carts from Superfoods wound up at some of the nearby hotels. It's a lot easier to push a cartload of groceries than to carry the bags in hand, all the while trying cross safely at the new round-about.

The SAFEWAY we shop at here in Winnipeg has a similar policy after all but four of their carts were gone. Most of the wayward carts were found in the parking lots of four nearby seniors' apartment blocks. Those darned seniors! (Don't worry; I'm one myself!)

Bye for now,

Glenn
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, both quarters and one florin dollar coins work just fine.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    If you spend a bit of time on the island you can buy a token on a small keychain with a carabiner type clip for $1.00. I have it on my car keys, put the token in the slot and then unclip it. I don't have to worry about fumbling for a quarter or florin.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We used U.S. Quarters for the carts at Super Food in Dec/Jan. No problems at all and when you return it to one of the cart "stands" your quarter will be returned from the slot.
    ~Amy~® -- 37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019 -- Napa: March 2019 -- 38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019 -- Boston: July 2019 -- Paris: Sept/Oct 2019 -- 39th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2019

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a quarter last week and it worked. I just kept that quarter in my rental car for any trips to the store. I believe the sign also stated you could use a florin or euro coin as well.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like