This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarters for a winkel wagon?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent Walt!

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They still have those large pull carts before you
    get to breads, no money needed for them.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool trick with the key Walt
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Do store owners really think .25 is going to stop people from "borrowing" carts to wheel to their condo ? If that indeed, is what the deposit is used for, it actually should be closer to $20. People will definately return them for that kind of money. I'm guessing it's just another small way to generate a bit more cash.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mc View Post
    Do store owners really think .25 is going to stop people from "borrowing" carts to wheel to their condo ? If that indeed, is what the deposit is used for, it actually should be closer to $20. People will definately return them for that kind of money. I'm guessing it's just another small way to generate a bit more cash.
    Hard to say. Here locally some stores are beginning to use carts that have remote locking wheels that prevent the cart from rolling once outside a pre-described distance from the store.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we have an ALDIS near us.
    ALDI was the first in the USA to start charging the deposit.
    the .25 cent cart deposit is not a deterrent for cart theft. that is not the intent.
    what it does, it causes folks to return their cart to the cart corral and keep carts from clogging up and being a hazard in the parking lot.

the same goes for Superfood in Aruba. it has nothing to do with theft, it has to do with getting the carts back to the corral and from being a hazard in that Superfood parking lot. that parking lot is terrible on a good day. I am sure that it does help keep those carts from rolling around and causing chaos in that lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    A long time ago when Pathmark was still around here(my kids were little) they put in shopping carts you needed a quarter to use the shopping cart. It wasn't because people were walking off them, but because they ended up all over the parking lot of the strip mall and would also leave them at the bus stop at the opposite end of the property.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW almost forgot about Pathmark, but Now I remember the quarter situation. I almost wish all grocery stores did this because I HATE when people just leave the carts anywhere and between cars. My preferred grocery store has several cart (holders? Stations?) throughout the parking lot that makes it so easy to just return. But of course, people will be lazies and leave it anywhere anyway.

QUOTE=robin;346610]A long time ago when Pathmark was still around here(my kids were little) they put in shopping carts you needed a quarter to use the shopping cart. It wasn't because people were walking off them, but because they ended up all over the parking lot of the strip mall and would also leave them at the bus stop at the opposite end of the property.[/QUOTE]

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I shop at Aldis near us and when I'm done with my cart, I always give it to an elderly person headed into the store. They always want to give me the quarter, which I don't take. I know it's only a quarter, but to some elderly, it makes them smile.

and maybe a 55th b-day in Aruba, Feb, 2020

0 4

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    given the road conditions in AUA and the sidewalks or lack thereof.........it seems to me that no one is swiping carts off of grocery property.
    folks ARE returning them to the corral or passing them off to another customer.
    I see it firsthand every other day for the last 14 days

it is not in place to generate $ for the store's bottom line.
    it does work keeping the carts from rolling around the parking lot banging into cars.