This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember

Post Thanks / Like

Remember

Does anyone remember getting off plane out on tarmack and bus to terminal remember the black hog saloon what other memories do you have of the good old days in Aruba
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    When we got in the terminal they had people in costume welcoming us. The Bushiri was where we stayed the first few times on the island.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember thinking they had only 1 person taking luggage off the plane and bringing that bag to the baggage claim and than going to get another bag. It took so long to get luggage.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember getting off the plane onto the tarmac and there were vendors right there........I bought a little fabric doll there for my niece.

That very same trip, we got delayed from point A to point B by a herd of goats o the main road.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking back that was really what attracted me to the island and made me fall in love with Aruba
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeachey View Post
    I remember thinking they had only 1 person taking luggage off the plane and bringing that bag to the baggage claim and than going to get another bag. It took so long to get luggage.
    On early visits I had a hard time adjusting to Aruba time it always seemed like everything took so long now I wish time would slow down so my trip would last longer. Do you remember the bench downtown with Ronald McDonald sitting I had a coconut fall right beside me on that bench sitting with my son
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved feeling the warm breeze as I was walking down the plane's stairway. However, It was so hot standing in the unairconditioned terminal waiting to get the passports stamped. That was soon forgotten as soon as we sipped out first pina colada.
    0 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning everyone,

I remember a couple of things from my first visit to Aruba in June 1980.

First, my travel agent had no idea where I was asking him to send me.

Next, I flew from Winnipeg to Miami via Chicago on Northwest Airlines (later swallowed by Delta), spent an overnight in Miami, then onto Aruba the next morning on Eastern Airlines. (A former major US carrier.)

I fell in love with Aruba even walking down the aircraft stairs to the un-airconditioned terminal. That part of the airport is still used by non-US bound passengers, like us. Stayed at Manchebo Beach resort.

The biggest building on the island then was the hospitaal. (Yes, I spelled it correctly using Aruba's official language)

Manchebo and Talk of the Town were both owned by the Cohen family. The restaurant at TOTT was Aruba's special occasion restaurant and had a strictly enforced dress code. For men it was simple; no jacket, no tie, no dinner!

Aah, memories!

Glenn
    Winnipeg, Canada
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    When men dressed, the women could dress. Now, not so much..
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank goodness

I much prefer casual.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt11946 View Post
    When men dressed, the women could dress. Now, not so much..
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 1