This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Renaissance Properties and Flamingos

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Renaissance Properties and Flamingos

The Renaissance properties have a newish owner or management co.(within the last 3 or 4 years).
    In that period, the marketing has been huge with tons of emphasis on the Renaissance Private Island and the flamingos.

Although this is great for the Renaissance properties, I think it gives an impression to those Aruba newbies that flamingos are plentiful and very visible in Aruba.

A lot of the Aruba marketing materials show the Renaissance Private Island with the flamingos as the first photo.

I hope that many will understand that the flamingos are residents on Renaissance Island and DePalm Island.
    In 50+ visits we have see flamingos rarely elsewhere............once at the area between the Divi Phoenix and the Riu Antilles and the other time we saw 2 near the anchor on the road to Baby Beach.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    It is so expensive-I think $125 a person to go there if you at not staying at the Ren. You can almost get that close at most zoos for a lot less money.

Did you know that flamingos are not naturally pink? They are born with gray or white(I can't remember which one) feathers and they turn pink or orange pink due to the food they eat. The food determines the color of the feathers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ten fun facts about Flamingos

Fact 1
    The name ‘Flamingo’ was derived from a Latin and Spanish word “flamenco” meaning ‘fire”, which the bird was given because of its unusual coloration.

Fact 2
    The pink, red or orange color of their feathers is caused by carotenoids pigments in their food. Their diet includes shrimp, plankton, crustaceans and algae.

Fact 3
    The eyes of flamingos are larger than their brains. An adult bird weighs about 4 kg (9 pounds) and its length can range from 3.3 feet to 4.6 feet. Their top speed can be as high as 35 mph.

Fact 4
    Flamingoes are strong swimmers and powerful fliers even though they are seen mostly wading.

Fact 5
    They live in lagoons, swamps and lakes and hold their bills upside down while feeding for several hours a day. This helps to filter out food while skimming the water.

Fact 6
    Flamingos are monogamous birds that lay one egg every year. Females feed their offspring “crop milk” which is a dark red high-fat, high-protein liquid secreted from their upper digestive tracts.

Fact 7
    The legs of adult flamingos can be 30 to 50 inches long which is longer their entire body.

Fact 8
    Flamingos are gregarious birds and do well in large flocks that can be up to million or more. A flock of flamingos is called a flamboyance or stand.

Fact 9
    Their lifespan is from 20 to 30 years though they can live up to 50 years in captivity.

Fact 10
    Flamingos are noisy birds that grunt, grow and honk to vocalize and communicate with their young ones or chicks.

Last edited by qlaval; 12-31-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    Pierre

1 5

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Ten fun facts about Flamingos

Fact 8
    Flamingos are gregarious birds and do well in large flocks that can be up to million or more. A flock of flamingos is called a flamboyance or stand.

THIS is my favorite Flamingo Fun Fact! OF COURSE a flock is called a flamboyance. I love this.
    ~Debbie
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

I hope that many will understand that the flamingos are residents on DePalm Island.
    We've been to DePalm Island several times and have never seen any flamingos but have seen pictures recently with them being there. Is this something new there? Just wondering.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a year or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiaS4 View Post
    We've been to DePalm Island several times and have never seen any flamingos but have seen pictures recently with them being there. Is this something new there? Just wondering.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0