This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rona's Article on Cruise ships

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubaguy62 View Post
    Totally agree with that article can't argue the overcrowding is awfully and if there is no income then what's the point as regular visitors time share owners and such use the restaurants buy food goods and alcohol and the never ending supply of souvenirs does anyone know if / how much ships pay just to dock or is it just an empty promise of bringing people in to spend money
    https://www.arubaports.com/main/wp-c...an.-1-2017.pdf

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    If Aruba can rock the downtown area without cruise ships I am all for it. I just want the people of Aruba to do well and for all of us to enjoy our stays when we are there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our friend who was here on a ship last week is planning on coming back for a week next Jan. The people next to us came to Aruba twice on a ships and loved it so much they are here for a week and are considering buying here in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been avid cruisers for many years (cruising usually 3x a year) and when we first came to Aruba we fell in love and knew we had to come back. We come back for land vacations, usually staying almost 2 weeks, and if it hadn't been for that cruise stop, we would never have done this. We contributed by cruise ship by going to the beach and paying for food, drinks, and chairs (also for the drivers and buses we've used), and shopping down town. Upon staying in Aruba, we have went just about everywhere we can (including pay places) and did excursions with the locals. We have also bought a lot of sourvenirs for family and friends each time and also decorated a few of our rooms with local hand made items. So while this may not be all cruisers, I have come across many (on cruise ships and in Aruba) that said had they not came there by ship, they would have never went there for land vacations. Just my thoughts...
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiaS4 View Post
    We have been avid cruisers for many years (cruising usually 3x a year) and when we first came to Aruba we fell in love and knew we had to come back. We come back for land vacations, usually staying almost 2 weeks, and if it hadn't been for that cruise stop, we would never have done this. We contributed by cruise ship by going to the beach and paying for food, drinks, and chairs (also for the drivers and buses we've used), and shopping down town. Upon staying in Aruba, we have went just about everywhere we can (including pay places) and did excursions with the locals. We have also bought a lot of sourvenirs for family and friends each time and also decorated a few of our rooms with local hand made items. So while this may not be all cruisers, I have come across many (on cruise ships and in Aruba) that said had they not came there by ship, they would have never went there for land vacations. Just my thoughts...
    . This is exactly how we came to visitors Aruba and then visiting every year.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The main point I think is that Aruba is now reaching peek tourism and its time to start looking where we want to keep growing and where we need to hold on a bit.

It's the same reason Aruba pretty much ignores Europe in the grand scheme of things when marketing the island as a tourist destination. It's because North Americans and Latin Americans spend way more than Europeans. Especially those from the west and north tend to be very frugal in their spending. While Americans would go out to eat at restaurants, Europeans would rather buy some bread or whatever and eat at home. Which is why many Europeans skip the hotels as well and rather stay at airbnbs

I believe we are slowly but surely making the switch from pure mass tourism to more upscale tourism and this means controlling the amount of cruiseships(there is still room for growth though) and trying to get more stay over visitors from different markets.
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Good posting. Aruba does seem to want more of higher end customers at this point with the Ritz, St. Regis, secrets etc... I was not 100 percent sure the Ritz would get away with Ritz pricing...they did not at first and really discounted there rooms to an "affordable" level and I was able to afford it for a few years but they are now priced way above what I can afford to spend for a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    The main point I think is that Aruba is now reaching peek tourism and its time to start looking where we want to keep growing and where we need to hold on a bit.

It's the same reason Aruba pretty much ignores Europe in the grand scheme of things when marketing the island as a tourist destination. It's because North Americans and Latin Americans spend way more than Europeans. Especially those from the west and north tend to be very frugal in their spending. While Americans would go out to eat at restaurants, Europeans would rather buy some bread or whatever and eat at home. Which is why many Europeans skip the hotels as well and rather stay at airbnbs

I believe we are slowly but surely making the switch from pure mass tourism to more upscale tourism and this means controlling the amount of cruiseships(there is still room for growth though) and trying to get more stay over visitors from different markets.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 02-07-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    I think you should mention that Europeans stay for a longer period then most of the North and Latin American visitors. I disagree with the image we Europeans just buy bread and live on that. Since we stay longer, and mostly spend our time away from the Palm Beach zoo, we contribute more to local companies that American tourists shy away from. We shop in local supermarkets, we eat at local restaurants and take outs and yes, we do eat in as well as eating out for 3 weeks (or in our case 6 weeks) is just too much. Although we eat out at least one meal a day out on most of these 42 days. And one more thing: we do rent a car to explore the island. We are just used to a different style of celebrating our holiday. I think in the end, we all spend a lot of money too, but just at different places.
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchdushi View Post
    I think you should mention that Europeans stay for a longer period then most of the North and Latin American visitors. I disagree with the image we Europeans just buy bread and live on that. Since we stay longer, and mostly spend our time away from the Palm Beach zoo, we contribute more to local companies that American tourists shy away from. We shop in local supermarkets, we eat at local restaurants and take outs and yes, we do eat in as well as eating out for 3 weeks (or in our case 6 weeks) is just too much. Although we eat out at least one meal a day out on most of these 42 days. And one more thing: we do rent a car to explore the island. We are just used to a different style of celebrating our holiday. I think in the end, we all spend a lot of money too, but just at different places.
    Some Europeans do stay a bit longer, it is 2 or 3 times the travel time after all! Maybe I should've worded differently, but I didn't mean that all Europeans never eat out and always buy bread and eat at home. Of course you don't "only live on that", especially not on vacation. Everyone is different and it is true that Europeans tend to look for the culture and locals foods more than North Americans(again, not all). Europeans choose Airbnb because its cheaper but more importantly for some they want to feel close to the culture/people of the place they visit and stay around locals.

Its not so much that you don't eat out, that was just an example, its that Europeans are a bit more frugal and spend in the economy per capita, less than North Americans. Before it was the Venezuelans who were the ones who used to spend more per capita. Then as we all know the situation changed and the tourism from there crashed completely. I believe the government, ATA and Airbnb have surveys and statistics on all of this. I hear them on the news from time to time talking about this stuff and they use all these surveys and statistics to make future marketing strategies and deliver a better "product".
    0 0