This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Status of rona at bati bleki

Post Thanks / Like

Status of rona at bati bleki

I have checked the website for serveral days and there have not been any items posted since 09/15/19. Is she on vacation, or is there some problem with the website?
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read that she was taking a break.
    Her son is getting married this week, so maybe that is why........she might
    be busy with wedding plans.
    If I can find my source I will post it.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-02-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rona's Bati Bleki is Public
    Here is a screen shot.

RONA's Bati Bleki.
    Dear Reader,

I am taking some time off writing, there is just too much fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants, you-cannot-make-this-stuff-up, happening.
    Between the hospital maintenance disaster, the doomed, headless refinery, the deaf MINFEC and the October 1st decree regarding taxes on receipts, the MinInfra surprising game of musical chairs, the impending trash collection levy, the discriminatory practices against private sector entities, the dreaded incineration, CAFT and its threatening Aanwijzing, stating that the government finances and financial management are not in order. The country is not taking sufficient measures to achieve a sustainable improvement in public finances and a reduction in personnel costs, the ridiculous former MinPres and his hot air declarations, Simar and the sad state of education with Chief Bruha Tera at the helm, the almost inaudible voice of Raiz, and where is Ricardo Croes?
    The ignorant MinComm who will not issue licenses designed to offer fiber to homes, and bring extra broadband capacity to the island. Worse. The sad verdict of Project Management Engineering and Consultancy NV VS CITGO Aruba Refining NV., and the pain of having to shell Awg 3,166.055,17 into most undeserving pockets?
    Usually in Sep/Oct we're busy with work-work, new magazines, and the upcoming Bartender's Brawl. I will be back with a vengeance, spewing piss and vinegar mid-October. Ok, some parties and openings, too.

Status of rona at bati bleki-screen-shot-2019-10-02-4-24-32-pm-jpg
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-02-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because the quality of journalism on Aruba has been so lacking over the years(to say the least), I was following Rona for a while due to her more professional attitude.

However, in the last months i've seen some instances where Rona names and shames without cause and without proper research done. This is something that plagues most so called journalists on the island. They rather go write something derogatory on Facebook than doing proper research. More based on he said she said, than qualitative journalism. From the "sugar tax" to the moving of the "Aruba" sign to the ministers "travel expenses" to even going as far as harassing locals online who were simply camping alongside the beach. Turned out, these locals had a permit and even won an environmental award from AHATA for being the campers who took care the most of the environment. She never even apologized. That is exactly why I started following her in the first place, to get away from the "speak/write before doing research" attitude.

The name of her page is "bati bleki" which in Papiamento means "to gossip". So maybe it was my own mistake to take her so serious in the first place. But because she came off as "professional" and the added problem that Aruban journalists are seriously lacking in quality, I followed her without question as a news source.
    Last edited by Arawak; 10-03-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for a "local" point of view. And believe me it's not just Aruba that has a lack of quality journalism. In the United States we have the first amendment which fuels these types of journalists.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know who is a reliable source anymore!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh.

Back to Rona, I always considered Rona's writings as opinion, and you have to take opinion and gossip with a grain of salt, a type of starting point. I always then seek out additional sources.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thanks for a "local" point of view. And believe me it's not just Aruba that has a lack of quality journalism. In the United States we have the first amendment which fuels these types of journalists.

0 0