This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tourism Spike

Post Thanks / Like
    The resort I was talking about was the the HR. I can't remember the name but it was the first or second one that made the news.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    The Hard Rock Resort where some of the death occurred after consuming booze in the room is not a low end resort. Quite the opposite and one the most expensive resorts. Ive priced in the past and it average as high as $3,500 per person with air compared to others $900 to $1500 per person. An office of my company has stayed there but in the fall for 1/2 price. This particular resort announced that they were removing all the alcohol, mini bars from the room. Its about time they took action at least it tells the people they are taking some measures. I don't blame people for cancelling because up to now no one was taking any action.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It is interesting that the article said their was a spike in tourism. Last year, our first full year owning the condo we had a lot of bookings. Everything was up in Aruba because of the hurricane damage on other islands. In fact, we met quite a few people who had plans for St. Maarten or St. Thomas, etc. they came to Aruba instead. Last year the bookings came earlier-people seemed to plan earlier and this year they are booking closer to the time they plan on arriving.

Just like the DR is not for everybody, Aruba is not for everybody either. It all depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to spend.

0 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning,

Just an opinion but I don't think the recent deaths in the DR is going to result in any measurable increase in tourist arrivals in Aruba.

I'll confine my comments to the Winnipeg market but it may apply elsewhere. For winter vacations, many Winnipeggers just want to get on the plane and get off in the tropics; as directly and cheaply as they possibly can. Five or six resorts in the DR check those boxes.

Once at the AI resort, vacationers embark on a week-long drink-a-thon. While tainted drinks may be a problem, over-indulgence is a problem as well. Just an opinion, but at AI's, many people drink more in 7 days than they do in 3 months back home. But, they've paid for it so darn it, they're going to eat and drink it regardless of the consequences. Really, who at home has tequila with breakfast? But if it's there...por favor!

As I said, while I'm talking about Winnipeg-based vacationers, it could apply to others. Most people will switch from the DR to Mexico or Jamaica. A few will think about Aruba but go elsewhere when they experience sticker shock, just researching prices.

Summing up, no I don't see a big increase in tourist arrivals in Aruba because of recent events in the R

Glenn,
    Winnipeg, Canada
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    We went a few years ago-timeshare exchange and we said never, ever again.

I know people who will only do AI because all they want to do is veg and drink. A friend did not go to Mexico two years ago because of the reported issue at resorts there and then went to an AI in Punta Cana instead. Now they are afraid to go to either and are going to Florida instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good morning,

Just an opinion but I don't think the recent deaths in the DR is going to result in any measurable increase in tourist arrivals in Aruba.

I'll confine my comments to the Winnipeg market but it may apply elsewhere. For winter vacations, many Winnipeggers just want to get on the plane and get off in the tropics; as directly and cheaply as they possibly can. Five or six resorts in the DR check those boxes.

Once at the AI resort, vacationers embark on a week-long drink-a-thon. While tainted drinks may be a problem, over-indulgence is a problem as well. Just an opinion, but at AI's, many people drink more in 7 days than they do in 3 months back home. But, they've paid for it so darn it, they're going to eat and drink it regardless of the consequences. Really, who at home has tequila with breakfast? But if it's there...por favor!

As I said, while I'm talking about Winnipeg-based vacationers, it could apply to others. Most people will switch from the DR to Mexico or Jamaica. A few will think about Aruba but go elsewhere when they experience sticker shock, just researching prices.

Summing up, no I don't see a big increase in tourist arrivals in Aruba because of recent events in the R

Glenn,
    Winnipeg, Canada

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother rebooked my Niece October trip to Punta Cana to an AI in Jamaica instead. They choose a resort in Jamaica because it was comparable in price and the resort is on a few miles from Montego Bay airport. Jet blue rebooked their flight without penalty and cheap carib.com rebooked the resort as well without any penalty. They both mentioned Jet Blue and Cheap Carrib.com that the DR Cancellations were very high. Delta announced they would waive cancellations fees on any canceled DR flight.

Hopefully they will find out what is going on. Besides possible tainted booze, I read reports of people who got violently sick and were complaining about a strong odor in their rooms and every time they were in the room felt dizzy.

0 0