This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel agent being "greedy?"

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Travel agent being "greedy?"

Met a lady in my pool today that asked me that when she books her next trip to Aruba would I help her with it.
    She had concerns with Aruba's Covid insurance fee.
    After she told me her story I said "gladly"

They just got back from a week at Renaissance Marina and because she does not own a computer or tablet, she had her travel agent do the whole thing. She said the travel agent fee was $50 per person (they are 2 older women, early 70s, both retired nuns)
    She also said that the travel agent did their ED registration (green check page) and she had to write the TA an additional check for $150. (made out to the travel agent)
    The TA told her that Aruba Insurance was $75 per person per stay and the $150 covered both of these women.

I told her that no, the insurance is $15 per person per stay and that it was being eliminated as of July 8 (I am still unclear if it will be an option).

She also said that they had trip insurance thru the travel agency that was $200 per person. Paul and I had a policy thru Hancock for our most recent trip and it was $160 for both of us.

I did not want to tell her that I believed that she was scammed re: the mandatory covid coverage, but I did tell her that the fee is $15 per person per stay.

I advised her to call the travel agent and demand a full rundown on all costs/fees.

Now, the nuns that I dealt with in elementary school were pit bulls and no one would have dared cross them, never mind stiff them out of $$.
    I hope that she has some pit bull in her.

Nuns, really..............scamming nuns is an all time low.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven’t used a travel agent in many years. I was always of the assumption that the resorts paid a commission to the agent? Of course, things change over the years. It does sound like the agent took advantage though. It’s a sad world we live in.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awful! Yes greedy! Hope they get this resolved. If they only knew about the Aruba only travel agent. Think it’s now called Player’s Choice. I haven’t used one of those agents in over 20 years but people swear by them.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we used Players Choice many years ago!
    CP and Patti are also clients.
    they are a terrific company.

Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    That is awful! Yes greedy! Hope they get this resolved. If they only knew about the Aruba only travel agent. Think it’s now called Player’s Choice. I haven’t used one of those agents in over 20 years but people swear by them.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not just greedy but wrong, wrong, wrong.
    0 1

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's just awful, stealing from old ladies! I'm curious about something, though. I thought nuns were lifetimers. I didn't realize they could retire!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup they were in a teaching order and were allowed to retire at 70.
    the one that I spoke to at length, inherited a house here in town from her brother.
    she was here visiting a friend that lives in our community and they were both at the pool today.
    I had no idea that she was a nun til she told me.

I gave her my number and told her to call me tomorrow...I want to hear what the TA told her.

I have found a new friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBunches View Post
    That's just awful, stealing from old ladies! I'm curious about something, though. I thought nuns were lifetimers. I didn't realize they could retire!
    1 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowlife travel agent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yup they were in a teaching order and were allowed to retire at 70.
    the one that I spoke to at length, inherited a house here in town from her brother.
    she was here visiting a friend that lives in our community and they were both at the pool today.
    I had no idea that she was a nun til she told me.

I gave her my number and told her to call me tomorrow...I want to hear what the TA told her.

I have found a new friend!!
    Man, that is awful, very greedy. Agent is shameless. Andrea, let us know what you find out.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul just took a little ride over to see the TA.
    He was kind (he is always kind) and spoke to the agent and explained to her that this is what is going to happen right now..........
    "you will write a check for the difference that you swindled out of these 2 ladies and I will leave here and another word will not be said by me re: you or your business practices."
    She wrote the check for $120 and Paul gave her a quick run thru about Aruba, Aruba.com, his wife's knowledge on the subject of covid insurance and how when these ladies want to travel again next year, that we will help them, not a crook.
    Then he left.
    Check has been delivered and when he came home he said, we have new friends.

I am glad that he did not have to go "the ugly route."
    I am not sure what that would have been at the travel agency, but I have seen it only once in all these years and it was not pretty.
    1 6