This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: verizon international

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

verizon international

my husband, son, dil and I are on the verizon cell plan.
    5 devices- 4 iPhones and my DIL's iPad.

my son and DIL went to Ireland recently and used the verizon international plan.
    $10 per day plus tax. (= over $100)

I had advised them that a less expensive way to do it was to pick up an Irish cell phone SIM card, buy some data and to use it instead of opting for the verizon plan.

so, my question is.......how many of you use the international cell plan in Aruba?
    I think it is less expensive overall to buy a SETAR SIM and some data in Aruba.......it is less than $70 for a month of data and a SIM card.
    it is my understanding that the SIM can be used every trip, just add data to it. I wonder if it expires after X amount of months?

when we were in Aruba in May 2019, my Setar SIM that we bought in May of 2018 was still valid and we added 5 g of data (a month plan even though we were only staying 2 weeks)
    I think that it was less than $45 (I cannot find the receipt)

what do you do when in Aruba?
    https://www.setar.aw/visitors/prepaid-data-plans/

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never gotten the SIM card in Aruba. I just email thru the wifi at resort or restaurants.

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we too use the resort's wifi, but oftentimes we are at places where there is no free wifi.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would cost a fortune for us since we are there 5 weeks to do the Verizon plan. We use the Setar sim card, my husband does. I don't use my phone and my ipad I use in the house, which has wifi. I do take my phone with me for photos and sometimes I am places that have free wifi like Bugaloe's, etc. Otherwise, my husband always has a phone available. It is about $49 for a month for 4 or 5 gb, whatever. Last year that lasted exactly the 31 days we were there. But if he needs to top it off, he will.

If you are there for a week, it probably would be worth it to use the international plan but I am pretty sure the service isn't as good as Setar, which is right there on the island.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have T-Mobile. We get 2G unlimited data and text messages and $0.25 a minute for calls internationally. We use WhatsApp and Facetime to talk to folks. Our plan for two (seniors) unlimited everything is less than $100 a month and that includes insurance on the phones and the international plan is free. Same phone, no sim cards, just land, activate international roaming and go.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are on Verizon but I don’t use the International plan. I text or email or use FaceTime and keep my phone in airplane mode.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    We have T-Mobile. We get 2G unlimited data and text messages and $0.25 a minute for calls internationally. We use WhatsApp and Facetime to talk to folks. Our plan for two (seniors) unlimited everything is less than $100 a month and that includes insurance on the phones and the international plan is free. Same phone, no sim cards, just land, activate international roaming and go.
    We used to buy Setar Sim card, but stopped since switched to T-Mobile. Having same plan as WaltVB and it working great for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    We have T-Mobile (over 55 plan) as well and it is by far the best deal going for international travel (and works great everywhere in the US as well). Never have an issue with connection and data/ text in Aruba, nor in France where we were last month, at NO ADDITIONAL COST (unless you make phone calls as Walt said). My daughter and Sil just switched to T-mobile and on our upcoming trip to Aruba will save over $160 by not having to use the Verizon $10/ day add on for their phones.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Now we do the following:
    I have two phones: one with Setar sim card for phone and data while I/we are out. I reload as needed but always have to reactivate once we get on the island. My other phone is my US number that I put on wifi only for calling(to the US) and data. I had some issues with calls dropping even though I had roaming turned off. I finally put it on airplane mode and calls stopped dropping. Hubby keeps the his US phone like my US phone. His office phone if voip.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the international plan for 10 daily and just consider it a part of my vacation expense. While I don't make a ton of calls home when away I do chat with my island friends frequently so I prefer just to have access to my phone whenever I need it. The 10 a day adds up but it keeps my life simple and I like simple, lol.