This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: verizon international

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Verizon $10 a day plan but you are only charge per 24 hour period that you use it. We usually have 3 devices connected and as long as we are around wifi, we dont need the mobile data. I download a Google map of Aruba to use offline before we go. I download music to listen to instead of streaming. In 2 trips, we have paid a total of $20. In both cases it was on a day we were switching resorts.

0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to unplug while on my vacation. I put my phone in airplane mode,check it in the AM and the PM to see if my kids/ family have texted me. The one year when stuff was going on back home I put AT&T $10 dollars a day on my phone but never had to use it. I have FaceTimed in the past but because my husband hates how intrusive gadgets are I try to respect his wish to stay off my gadgets and live in the moment.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sprint offers it for free. Free texts, $0.20 per minute calls, and 2G data (which actually isn’t bad). My work uses Verizon cell service and I have a separate phone, but they don’t mind paying for it.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We are on Verizon and do a very similar approach to @Traceyd14. We normally turn our phones to Airplane mode when we leave the US. Then we only turn back on wifi when we arrive in Aruba. Both the Hilton and Marriott offer really good wifi so we use text/whatsapp/FB messenger and wifi calling while connected. On days when other travelers are coming to meet us or I may have a work or other need to have coverage, I can turn on my mobile data and get coverage for $10 per day and it usually texts you to remind you to either turn it off or be charged for another day. If I was staying for an extended period, I would opt for the Setar Sim card.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    We use Wi-Fi too. But we rent a flip phone from Trees for the week at Aruba Digital cell. Just in case we need to call home or gets puppy updates. Great for dinner reservations and calling friends on the island. Last year the phone went for a dive off the Black Pearl ( bad phone). Trees dropped off a new phone for us with no extra coast to us. Typical Great Aruba service.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    We are among who always stay unplugged. There is really no desire or need for us to talk to anyone while on vacation. Facetime or iMessage or e-mail could be used if absolutely necessary, but rarely is. Phones stay in Airplane Mode the entire time. Used primarily as camera replacements.

We saw two young women on Eagle Beach a few weeks ago who must have spent three solid hours together diddling with their phones, taking selfies, FaceTimes, making phone calls, texting, etc. etc. Made us wonder if they were physically able to function on vacation or anywhere else without having a mobile device in their hands. Saw some other women who couldn't manage to take a dip in the water without bringing phones in plastic cases.

Rhys
    0 1