This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A very sad situation in Aruba and the importance of medical and travel insurance

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like

A very sad situation in Aruba and the importance of medical and travel insurance

There is an American couple in Aruba right now that are really struggling. They are owners at Renaissance and have been posting on our private owner's Facebook page. They arrived in Aruba on Nov. 5th. On November 7th, they both became violently ill. They had eaten at a popular restaurant that night, and believe that they got food poisoning. I'm not posting the name of the restaurant, because I don't know if it was ever verified that they did have food poisoning, or if it was some type of stomach virus. It took 5 days for the wife to recover, but her husband continued to get worse. He ended up perforating a stomach ulcer, from all of the vomiting, and almost bled out. He was rushed to the hospital and has been in ICU ever since.

At this point, the wife reached out on our Facebook page, looking for advice. They have Medicare, but do not have a supplemental policy. They also had a small travel insurance policy, but it only has a $5,000.00 medical allowance. The estimate from the hospital was between $100,000.00 - $150,000.00 at that time.Medicare does not cover medical issues when you are out of the country, but I've been told that they might cover some things under certain circumstances. I have no idea how that works. We've been offering her support, but most of us have no knowledge in this area. We suggested that it might be somewhat cheaper to pay for a medivac to Miami, where Medicare would kick in and pay for his care.

The wife was in the process of setting up the medivac when the husband developed more complications. He was rushed into surgery this past Monday, after he developed a flesh eating bacteria in his leg. He has now had 2 surgeries, and is presently under sedation in ICU. His condition is listed as critical. The wife is all alone in Aruba, and apparently, no one in her family is able to come down and be with her. This is just a heart breaking situation. The one bright spot in all of this is the staff at Renaissance. They have been very concerned and have been very compassionate, trying to assist her in any way that they can.

It has been stated many times on this site that travel insurance is so important when you are traveling to Aruba. It is important to make sure that there is enough coverage to cover a major illness, along with adequate insurance for medivac, if necessary. They were so looking forward to returning to Aruba after this past year, and now they are living a nightmare. I don't know how this will all end, but things aren't looking good.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my!!! That is awful all the way around!! I sincerely hope and pray the husband is ok. What the wife is going through right now is just unimaginable and heartbreaking.

Pictures from our Oct 2021 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZNDCceAbJT5sECfE8

Pictures from our Oct 2020 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGHm1uumCXGEkEHv5
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This is heartbreaking. I will keep them in my thoughts, and hope that the husband will be ok
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is terrible Diane!!!!
    I hope all truly understand that many USA insurers do not cover out of USA situations.
    Everyone should know ahead of time what their policies cover.

Squaremouth.com and Insuremytrip.con are good sites to ship for policies for travel.

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible situation for this couple and, of course, an important reminder about travel insurance, especially since Medicare doesn’t insure you outside the country. It’s good to hear that the staff at the Renaissance are so supportive. I can’t imagine how the wife must feel trying to figure out what to do. Pray that things work out

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    So very sorry to hear about this terrible situation. I never buy insurance since but I guess I should especially for the medical piece. I know people have posted suggested companies to buy insurance. I will have to search this site. Assume you can buy insurance after trip is booked?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    Assume you can buy insurance after trip is booked?
    I have been able to do so with Allianz. I would guess others are the same. Super easy to do and definitely nice for peace of mind.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you Andrea. Just saw this after I posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    That is terrible Diane!!!!
    I hope all truly understand that many USA insurers do not cover out of USA situations.
    Everyone should know ahead of time what their policies cover.

Squaremouth.com and Insuremytrip.con are good sites to ship for policies for travel.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you - do they cover medical out of the US? I will research.

Quote Originally Posted by phrogg108 View Post
    I have been able to do so with Allianz. I would guess others are the same. Super easy to do and definitely nice for peace of mind.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    Thank you - do they cover medical out of the US? I will research.
    This is from their FAQ. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I am sure there are other more comprehensive options. Thankfully, I have never had to use this and I hope it stays that way...

Depending on the plan you choose, travel insurance can provide benefits for a number of situations that may occur before or during your trip. These benefits may include:
    · Trip Cancellation
    · Trip Interruption
    · Emergency Medical Transportation
    · Emergency Medical / Dental
    · Lost / Stolen / Delayed Baggage
    · Travel Delay
    · Change Fee Protection
    · Rental Car Damage Protection
    24-Hour Hotline Assistance
    Note: Not all plans include each benefit listed here. Please see the Certificate of Insurance/Policy for terms, conditions, and exclusions.

0 0