This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A very sad situation in Aruba and the importance of medical and travel insurance

Post Thanks / Like
    Please, no matter your age, if you travel sign up for travel insurance. Like house insurance...you hope your house does not burn down but if it does....! I believe there are also policies that cover all your travel away from home for a year and if you are doing multiple trips it may be cost effective rather than pay trip to trip. Also, as we age , consider signing for the policy that covers preexisiting conditions...high blood pressure...have a heart attack....some companies would call that a preexisiting condition! I also recommend EA+. It is not insurance (does not cover medical, trip cancelation etc) but they will handle the situation with and for you in the event something happens. We have this policy for travel (not for when traveler is at second home). Don't know about you but as we age even the slightest issue seems overwhelming to us....lol. If current couple had this policy EA would coordinate care and also arrange transportation back to USA.
    As to Medicare...the couple in current situation should get copies of all bills with details. Medicare may cover some or all of the medical expenses because it is an unforseable emergency.
    Prayers for this couple.
    Last edited by annf; 11-24-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    3 1

Post Thanks / Like
    What Ann said.

We're looking into the cost of annual policy(ies). Why, because we traveled recently using our standard carrier, Allianz, and got a comprehensive policy that included medical evacuation flight to USA. It worked out to twenty-eight bucks per day, but the comfort of having not to concern ourselves: priceless.

I wish those in need well.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Phrogg. I have been traveling to Aruba since 1980. After one of our friends had to be medivaced to Miami which cost them $15,000 then, we made sure we had adequate travel insurance.
    What a nightmare, to go through being alone and having to make these difficult decisions. My thoughts are with that family.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a policy from Good Sam. It is actually RV insurance, but it has all the medical stuff(ie, medivac) and road trip stuff we might need. I don't know the details, but hubby looked long and hard at it. Unlike most insurance, you pay yearly and there is no limit on length of trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    We purchase trip insurance through the airline when we book our flights. It's an option available on all flights domestic and international.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the insurance from the airline cover medical? Assume each airline offers different policies.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    We purchase trip insurance through the airline when we book our flights. It's an option available on all flights domestic and international.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We always purchase a policy from the airline. In addition we purchase a policy from American Express insurance. You can purchase a package or build your own. We build our own for medical, dental and to be transported back to the USA in case of an emergency. It is based on cost of your trip. I believe we paid less then $200 for our 2 weeks in Aruba this year.

Two years ago my husband had a severe reaction to a bug bite in Aruba. American Express paid the entire bill for Urgent Care & meds once we showed proof that our primary insurance would not cover it.

My supplemental insurance that I now have with Medicare is United Healthcare they will reimburse for medical out of the country.
    0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always get trip insurance every trip. I use insuremytrip.com to compare policies, as opposed to using one company as my “go too” because my needs could be different each trip. Like now
    with covid, airlines have no change fees so cancelling a flight gets you a credit, or if using points, or a credit card that carries insurance for some expenses. Regardless, medical
    is the one thing I ALWAYS purchase no matter what. I make sure to have at least $100k in medivac and I make sure the health coverage is PRIMARY. A few tips that may help others in choosing insurance.

This is so sad. Doesn’t sound like a stomach bug either I hope the wife informed the restaurant just so they know to be careful.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post
    I always get trip insurance every trip. I use insuremytrip.com to compare policies, as opposed to using one company as my “go too” because my needs could be different each trip. Like now
    with covid, airlines have no change fees so cancelling a flight gets you a credit, or if using points, or a credit card that carries insurance for some expenses. Regardless, medical
    is the one thing I ALWAYS purchase no matter what. I make sure to have at least $100k in medivac and I make sure the health coverage is PRIMARY. A few tips that may help others in choosing insurance.

This is so sad. Doesn’t sound alike a stomach bug either ������ I hope the wife informed the restaurant just so they know to be careful.
    We also use insure my trip. You make a good point about making sure that coverage is primary. So many of them are secondary. It makes sense to read through the options and understand them!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    Does the insurance from the airline cover medical? Assume each airline offers different policies.
    Most airlines offer Allianz. https://www.allianz.com/en.html
    0 0