This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A very sad situation in Aruba and the importance of medical and travel insurance

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Canadian we are used to purchasing travel insurance when we leave Canada because we have a public health care system and don't carry health insurance for our every day medical needs. I have found (surprisingly) many Americans think that their own private insurance will cover them outside the US. Maybe its because they are paying for it and don't realize that it doesn't carry over into another country. Additional medical insurance when leaving your home country isn't optional its a necessity.

This tragic situation is a good reminder to ensure that you always have medical insurance when you travel.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoAruba View Post
    We always purchase a policy from the airline. In addition we purchase a policy from American Express insurance.
    I would be very careful about purchasing two different travel insurance policies for the same trip. If you have a problem you can't collect from both for the same incident, so you have to tell them. Then they can each declare the other to be primary and you can get stuck in the middle. Even if they play nice (big "if"), it will be complicated coordinating the benefits of the two policies if there is any overlap.
    0 1

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just learned that the man that I posted about has been transported to a Miami hospital. He remains in critical condition. His wife is also in Miami. I hope that hospital protocols allow her to be with him.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    I just learned that the man that I posted about has been transported to a Miami hospital. He remains in critical condition. His wife is also in Miami. I hope that hospital protocols allow her to be with him.
    Thank you for the update!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    It’s a positive move and while exhausting, I’m sure it’s a relief to be back in the US. Prayers for them both.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the health ins options on these sites are secondary. Someone mentioned to find the health coverage as primary? I can't seem to find any.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. One has to utilize the primary first and the other as secondary.
    Ex: my primary is Medicare with a United health supplement.
    I would submit medical to them first. Any portion not covered would go with the travel claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    All of the health ins options on these sites are secondary. Someone mentioned to find the health coverage as primary? I can't seem to find any.

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have UHC as my Medicare supplement...Medicare Advantage....no coverage out of the country. They would not cover our Covid test to come home in Sept.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    What a terrible ordeal for this couple! Was the hospital able to determine the cause?
    0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
    What a terrible ordeal for this couple! Was the hospital able to determine the cause?
    If they did, the family hasn't shared that with us.

0 0