This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Aruba since 1979

Visiting the downtown when cruise passengers are visiting

i was speaking with a friend who is staying at Divi Village beginning tomorrow.

He was saying that he and his family always revolve their excursions downtown according to the cruise ship schedule.
    But, what he said surprised me

He said that cruise ship days are the best jewelry and people watching days (although congested).

What are your opinions re: cruise ship days downtown?

I am not wild about the traffic, and if we are planning on a downtown trip we try to use the back roads.

I try to avoid any travel on weekdays between 2 and 4 on the back roads to downtown.........school traffic!

I try not to go when the cruise ships are there, otherwise we go in the morning and shop, gamble and have a late lunch! LOL

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We don't go down town much unless we are staying at the Renaissance anyway but are sure to check the cruise ship schedule for the time we are on Aruba. Downtown is not the only place you want to avoid when a cruise ship is in. We stay away from Baby Beach as well then.

Best jewelry days meaning the prices/negotiations are better?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

The only time that I have ever been in the city during a visit by a Cruise ship was while on my way to the airport. Was really puzzled by why the taxi driver took that route? My other trips into the city all took place when there were no Cruise ships in the port, and even on those visits I tried to leave by 1:00 pm/ 1:45 pm.

I have a friend who works in Little Switzerland and he told us NOT to shop for jewelry when the cruise ships are in town. The shops are less likely to make a good deal because of the high volume of people. If you won't buy it at their price, someone from the ship will. We have found this to be true and we only shop when the ships are not in town.

We always check for cruise ships before heading into town. We made the mistake once of going when one was in port and will not make it again. Those people are nuts, they have a finite amount of time and they seem to clog up every street, store, restaurant and bar. Nothing is so important to us that it can't wait for the ships to pull out.

Or that they tend to zip in and out of moving traffic, or will pause while crossing the road to take a picture.

Dang tourists...

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    Or that they tend to zip in and out of moving traffic, or will pause while crossing the road to take a picture.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

We avoid the downtown area when ships are in port.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.