This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Who or What is on your mind when you visit Aruba?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Who or What is on your mind when you visit Aruba?

When visiting Aruba, most of us visit as a vacation (an escape)............
    Is there something that is always in the back of your mind while there?

For us.......it is our very elderly dog Belle.
    She is old, is deaf and has lymphoma.........but she is still doing well and is pain free.

While we are in Aruba, we are not consumed with worry, but the thought of our Belle is always there.

How about you?

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Andrea,

We will be in Aruba this coming October and I think I know what we'll be thinking about. Stay with me.

Over the past year or so we have had so many family members and friends diagnosed with cancer, starting with my own pancreatic cancer last year. We are all in our sixties, to provide some context. What has been interesting is how each has handled it. I was fine with others knowing. Others have gone out of their way to keep their cancer private, often swearing immediate family members to secrecy.

I have no doubt that my wife and I will talk about this almost ever morning while we are having breakfast and reading Aruba News on our porch at Sunset Beach Studios.

Glenn
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn, thank you for your very personal and serious contemplation about your health and family. Like you, my wife and I are in our 60's and we've had our share of health issues (including cancers) during the past 12 years but we are all "healthy" now. Since we vacation in Aruba with our family including our kids, their spouses and our grandchildren, we always think about how lucky we are to be able to share such great times with our family.
    Yes, we all have worries and issues we leave behind, but I try not to think/ dwell on those things while we're on vacation...Other than that I DON'T miss my daily morning commute into New York City!
    Brian
    Brian

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Aruba is our healing spot. We always agree not to talk about hospitals or upcoming doctor appointments. The mission is to have happy thoughts and we’re generally successful.

All that said, I do really miss our dog, Maddy. Pretty sure she doesn’t miss us as much as she’s very social. Next trip she’ll be staying at a new pet resort with her own climate control room, bed and Flat screen TV set to the doggy channel. We’ll have webcam access to her room and play area so I’ll be able to check in on her.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be thinking about my cousin (we are closer than a lot of sisters) and her husband. He was just diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer a few weeks ago and is just starting treatments. It kills me that I'm not closer to them (they're in MD, I'm in CT) and can't go down right now. I almost feel guilty going on vacation but also know they don't agree with me and want me to enjoy. They will be in my thoughts constantly but will also be emailing them tons of pictures to hopefully brighten their days a bit (didn't think they'd want me to do that but they asked so the least I can do).

1 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it wasn't for my fur babies, I think I could stay longer but I just miss them too much. 5 weeks is long enough though Hubby would stay 5 months.

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first visit to Aruba was with my husband. We were so very happy, and we shared our 3 bedroom timeshare with many friends and family members over the years creating so many wonderful memories. Sadly, we are now divorced. Each year when I return, it is bittersweet. I still get tearful thinking about what was supposed to last a lifetime.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    bittersweet, yes.
    making new memories is what is now on the agenda.

wishing you well.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBunches View Post
    My first visit to Aruba was with my husband. We were so very happy, and we shared our 3 bedroom timeshare with many friends and family members over the years creating so many wonderful memories. Sadly, we are now divorced. Each year when I return, it is bittersweet. I still get tearful thinking about what was supposed to last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter where I am I worry about my kids, especially, my younger son since he is at home alone. Elderly friends and friends and family going through medical or personal issues are always on my mind, too.

Then there is the evil me-I sometimes think about those who have not been nice, who think they are 'gods gift to the world" and put everyone else down and are mean. I think, "Look where I am and where they are. Karma does work".

0 0